Sonny Liston: “The Strongest Heavyweight I Ever Dealt With” - George Foreman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Nov 29, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  3. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    On one hand, yes, me neither.
    On the other hand, Liston was one of the smallest HWs Foreman ever faced in his long career. For him to be the strongest at that weight is pretty remarkable.

It reinforces the notion that that weight is not always the determining factor in strength.

4. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Sonny I believe is constantly underrated, any fighter who comes at Liston is in extreme trouble.

5. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Liston was a natural 215 to 220 when he stepped into the ring .. by no means small .. a lot of the guys Foreman fought in his second career were no where near that condition or were juiced up like a Briggs .. Imagine a roided Liston ?

6. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    A roided Sonny Liston would have been like Ike Ibeaubuchi.
    A deluded and very violent individual.

7. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Foreman loves exaggerating and changing his mind, he might be right on this one though !

richdanahuff likes this.
  8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Sonny looked much bigger than his fighting weight which was usually around 212 in shape.

robert ungurean and The Morlocks like this.
  9. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I highly doubt George has some superhuman ability to accurately measure, recall, and compare the strengths of all the scores (hundreds?) of men he fought and sparred with over his decades in the ring, but it's a cool anecdote and the overall point--that Liston was very strong--isn't hard to believe at all.

PS - And FWIW, in fairness to George, the full statement was that Liston was "probably" the strongest heavyweight he ever dealt with.

Pat M and richdanahuff like this.
  10. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    H ey, it was like Sonny's body was created for one thing only: fighting and beating the **** out of others. The Perfect Heavyweight body. I have always thought Sonny and Jeffries were the 2 strongest great fighters in history.

lloydturnip and robert ungurean like this.
  11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    How do you think Liston would do with Choynski,Corbett,Fitzsimmons?

Reinhardt and The Morlocks like this.
  12. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I've told this story before here. I knew a guy back in Denver in the late 70's who had played football
    at Navy and was the strongest guy I ever met. He would pick up railroad ties like they were toothpicks.
    I saw him pick up a 25' cottonwood tree with a massive base and drop it into a hole. He had a physique like
    Steve "Hercules" Reeves.

He told me he had sparred with Liston, who lived in Denver at the time and that after a couple shots from Sonny that he almost cried from the pain as a result of the punches.

Sonny Liston must have been a monster.

13. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Sonny was 220lb and over just 10 times in 54 fights.

14. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I think Sonny Liston would win quickly against those three. Now Jeffries, under Jeffries era and 25-45 round fights, Jeff by KO. I have many books on both guys. Jeff could take ENORMOUS punishment, was very athletic and could crack. He said he never hit a man with his full might. Sonny would force him too. Under Sonny's era, Sonny by decision. Liston WAS a monster and an old washed up Liston was the only man Foreman said whose punch stopped him in his tracks. Prime trained Sonny could beat any heavyweight that ever lived. 98% of them by KO. I would take Dempsey by KO over him, but under modern 1922-82 rules, Sonny has a chance to beat anyone and that includes 1964 Clay. Sonny was the epitome of the term "bad motherfcuker".

lloydturnip and Birmingham like this.
  15. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Reinhardt has it right

Reinhardt likes this.