Sonny Liston 1959 vs 1982 Randall Tex Cobb.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Sonny Liston 1959 vs Randall Tex Cobb. The Liston who kayoed Cleveland Big Cat Williams vs the Tex Cobb who went 15 with then WBC Champion Larry Holmes in Nov 1982, how does this fight turn out?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I certainly favour Sonny Liston here.

I believe Tex fought a very good Larry that night. I also think it is a very underrated performance by Holmes. He was really much better against Tex, fought at a better pace over the full distance than he did against just about anyone I can think of. So I think Tex is sold rather too short in a lot of match ups based on what he was up against here. He would not have been so easy as Larry made it look against anyone else.

I think it’s really hard to look that good against a bigger guy who won’t quit.

Tex would not be intimidated thats for sure. In 1982 he was coming to win and fighting his heart out. But Sonny would have all the answers to beat Cobb. I doubt he would be as convincing as Holmes was against that version. Sonny hits harder than Larry but he can’t match that workrate or footwork so there would be some mauling and clinching.

Sonny by clear points win.

3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I see Tex getting his face busted up here. Brave effort but Liston rams that jab repeatedly into Tex s mush.

Philly161, KidGalahad, TipNom and 3 others like this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Liston would almost kill him. Howard might retire from boxing as early as the 8th round.

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Afraid of Baboons... Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Tex would find a way

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. White Bomber

White Bomber Active Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Liston by KO, with ease I might add.

7. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    He would be even more convincing seeing as Cobb wouldn't last the distance.

8. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I totally agree.

White Bomber likes this.
  9. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    The beating would be so thorough that Homes-Cobb would look like a picnic for Tex.

10. SwarmingSlugger

SwarmingSlugger New Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Highly favor Liston for a UD win, but if Sonny gets discouraged Tex may find a way long shot but I give Cobb a 20% chance.

choklab likes this.
  11. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Cobb was there to be hit. I am trying not to get hung up on the Cleveland fight, since that's the version of Liston you picked, but I was just going with it anyway. Williams only lasted 3 rounds. He didn't have the most solid chin in the world, and with Cobb you'd have trouble finding better. But Williams was punching Liston a lot, and not absorbing every shot Liston could throw. Williams and Liston combined to make a damn good fight (on more than one occasion I will add). But Cobb didn't have anywhere near the skills of Williams. The punching power is not even comparable. Maybe Cobb is taken out in 3, in a much less competitive match.

12. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Cobb could surely take a beating and keep fighting. As we all know, he showed that against Holmes and others. But Larry doesn't hit the way Liston does. I see a stoppage here with many knockdowns. IMHO, of course.

13. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    The nearest to Cobb that Sonny fought close to his prime is probably Willie Besmanoff. A big brave guy who was stopped on a cut. And he shipped a lot of punishment.

I concede that Sonny hits harder. But Larry lands more often. So far as jabbing goes I don’t think Sonny was more efficient. I just don’t. Larrys jab was extremely punishing.

Two light punches can do as much damage as one hard one. Some guys land two in the time it takes to land one.

Sonny’s hooks and right hands were better. No question. But was Sonny throwing enough of them to keep Cobb on the outside for as long as Larry did? I don’t have the punch stats but Larry landed a hell of a lot more punches on Cobb than anyone else.

I don’t care who is hitting him, when he’s not on the outside, Cobb is mauling and wrestling. And Shipping much less punishment.

Still, Sonny wins hands down. But we are talking here of an extremely brave performance from Cobb with zero quit.

I don’t think it unreasonable that Tex lasts the distance on that form. He had a chin of iron at his best. Certain guys were not getting knocked out in their prime. And there is every reason to believe Cobb might be one of them.

Richard M Murrieta and louis54 like this.
  14. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Tex is game for the first 3 rounds. Does well scrapping with Liston in the phone booth and landing some good clubbing shots. But eventually Liston begins dictating the pace and lands at will.

Liston by TKO in around 7-9 rounds in a very painful to watch demolition job. It would look like Paul Bunyan chopping down a great oak. If one punch doesn't work, if one combination won't rattle him, Liston simply hammers away with his sledgehammer jab, bludgeoning right crosses, and hellacious hooks. Might even score a knockdown.

15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Agree with this part. Sonny has far too many answers. A lot depends on the referee.