Sonny Liston (1960) vs "Iron" Mike Tyson (1988) - who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sardu, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Caelum

Caelum Boxing Addict Full Member

May 16, 2010

Tyson has shown the ability to fight on the inside. He became more of a mid-range fighter later on and there may have been a reason for it.

Mike Tyson vs. Jesse Ferguson was a good fight with body-attacks. Notice Ferguson's size was not that big considering some others: 6'2, 211+

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    You're using the Ferguson fight as an example in support of Tyson as in an infighter?!

3. Caelum

May 16, 2010
    Emotional state of being was Huge for Tyson being affective. And in order to be at a high level, you have to have the confidence in your ability. The right confidence. Not blind confidence.
    Not to mention the system he had learned that made him Champion was gone. When was the last time he trained properly in that system? Spinks?

3 years in prison' plus, even before, he already looked out of it by Ruddock II fight which he even said. He wasn't going to be good against Holyfield with all that going against him. Even Tyson admitted recently he had no business being in there with Holyfield at that time.

4. Caelum

May 16, 2010

Once wrong with that fight?

Do you expect Tyson to just continually unload on a fighter and waste energy if the opponent isn't responding and is allowing him to control the fight?

Why waste energy?

Tyson liked to fight in spurts though.

Liston an inside fighting: There was an article I read a while back, I think an S.I. article, and it talked about a sparring partner Liston had at one time. If I recall, it showed Liston's vulnerability to body attacks. He didn't like it. I think it also suggested part of it was because of the way Liston trained or lack of it that was needed to build this part.

I never really bothered to pay attention all that much to his fights in that detail however so I'm not sure what video footage says with him dealing with it.

5. Foreman Hook

Foreman Hook ☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆ Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Liston KO6 Tyson...little Mikey would not survive a single round with teh brutish Liston once he starts to gass. :deal:deal
    look at him gassed in round 6 against Holyfeild, liston would have had teh power to KO him then.

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Tyson is horrible on the inside in that fight.

7. Foreman Hook

Foreman Hook ☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆ Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tyson was always horrible on teh inside. :deal:deal
    Liston, Lewis, Frazier, Foreman, Holyfield, Bowe, Louis, Marciano, Dempsey, Holmes, Tua etc are far, far better inside fighters and would out-brawl tyson inside.

8. Caelum

May 16, 2010
  9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    It would be utterly astonishing if Ingemar had said that Liston was "to fast" given that this was his weakest area and the two were due to fight.

But Ali's trainer said something similar years and years before Ali got anywhere near Sonny. He basically predicted that the young Clay would beat him, without naming him.

10. Caelum

May 16, 2010
    Did you read the articles?
    There are some other points he makes as well as the sparring partner in the next article.

For a young Clay, the Eddie Machen fight may have been the indicator that Clay could win. Ingemar talks about that fight and you can think of Clay in there.

11. duran duran

duran duran Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2010
    tyson and early too fast and powerful .

12. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I think probably not. It was a one-sided and dominant win for Liston - it's been repeatedly over-egged as any kind of indicator IMO. Then again, Machen isn't as mobile as he's been painted in recent years.

13. Caelum

May 16, 2010
    Here is the fight again. I'll have to watch it again as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqWl75lOUi8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98j8I00Prec&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV_DuQI2EU8&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-YJWJbTUQ&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByEWbnZse04&feature=related[/ame]

14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    That is my upload. I do not have to watch it again. I've seen it two-dozen times.

15. Caelum

May 16, 2010

:lol:......................:good