Sonny Liston v Lennox Lewis in a street fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Scott Cork, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Ken Norton doesn't strike me as a street fighting type of guy.

No matter what people say about him though David Haye is an underrated pick in that setting, how quick he launched on Chisora was nasty.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I lived most of my life in a ghetto full of losers.

If you work in a prison you'll know better then anyone there aren't many HW undisputed champs walking around is there? You'll notice the vast, vast majority are nobodies who wouldn't last a tenth of a second in a fight with Lennox. What exactly would Lewis need to worry about that'd make him "crack"? explain that.

It's not inaccurate to label Lennox introverted and whatever it's inaccurate to say the champion of the world isn't mentally tough enough to deal with a place dominated by strength full of mostly weak people, and you seem to say he isn't a street fighter based on one incident- so? again, what is some random prisoner going to be capable of doing to Lennox? I have another question for you what is Sonny doing different? He beat up on no hopers out of the ring the same thing Lennox is capable of doing, it literally proves nothing they had zero chance of winning, because he was who he was an ATG boxer to be.

3. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Ah ok so you have absolutely no frame of reference for what it's like in prison.

There are guys in prison scarier than Tyson and Lewis combined. Lewis is one guy. He would have to worry about people ganging up on him. People might try to steal his belongings, assualt him in the shower, Poison him, frame him for something he didn't do, etc. The idea of some big dawg tough guy handling prison by himself or taking on multiple people at once is rare and mostly Hollywood stuff and that isn't how Lewis carries himself anyways. 9/10 you need to join a gang or religious group or be very good at keeping to yourself and staying out of trouble.

Sonny beat up a cop who is trained for dealing with physical confrontations. The mob trusted him to go break people's legs and he had been in gang fights where there are no rules. Again, pretty simple concept, having experience in street fights gives you an advantage over someone whose been in none. It's a completely different ball game. There are no hand wraps, no rules, and no breaks. The fact this is somehow eluding you tells me you couldn't have been in any street fights if you think there's just an automatic crossover of skill from boxing outside of being able to punch effectively.

I am not saying that Lewis would be a bum or that any random goon could beat him. What I am saying is that if two boxers fight outside the ring, the one with street fighting experience had an advantage, just like if someone is bringing karate or wrestling to the fight. That's all.

4. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    Sure lol. Whatever you want to believe let’s discard the fact I grew up with people who’d know the inside better then I assume you’re what the cleaner? You’re speaking mostly actual nonsense here and saying the most general stuff everyone already knew from last weeks Netflix prison doco.

Also stop thinking you’re actually explaining something very basic to me or anyone, you do it a lot saying it like people don’t somehow know “this stuff eludes you” lol stfu lad stop, you sound like a wannabe intellectual and a mong.

I can already tell this will go nowhere. You don’t know what Sonny would do in a street fight there is literally ZERO way of knowing how this fight goes you are speaking like you’ve seen something to prove your argument but you’re basing the outcome on Liston’s “rep” of beating up no hopers on the street or in the yard and getting it on with cops and Lennox suing Rahman or being cautious in the ring?

A sand foundation if there ever was one.

5. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    lewis knocks him out and chucks that dopey ******* in the bin

Journeyman92 likes this.
  6. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    B-but Sonny beat up untrained people!

lepinthehood likes this.
  7. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    I'm a contractor at a prison with the state of Ohio. You admitted you've never been there and never worked there lol. The only sand foundation is you talking out of your ass based on what some people you grew up with said. I literally work there every week.

8. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    Its not any less probable then you claiming to work at a prison lad, there is no verification for anything anyone says without doxing themselves. It’s the way it is, take it how you want.

9. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    I can upload my badge lol you're comparing second hand experience to someone who works there. Mind boggling.

You also have a habit of dismissing what someone wrote without even addressing any of the points they made. It makes people a lot less inclined to want to even respond to you.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    You are the biggest hypocrite lol. Secondly, just like you were gonna upload footage of you hitting a bag to win a pissing contest I forget did you? :rolleyes: go, upload your badge I’m calling you on it if it means so much to you, don’t back out this time. I hope you know you’ve cornered yourself it means nothing if you do or don’t with the exception of you not keeping your word.

11. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    https://i.imgur.com/cJVmEon.jpeg

12. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    cross_trainer likes this.
  13. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    instead of leaving what I’m saying at “Good on you lad” I didn’t mean that in an entirely upturned nose sort of way, fair there’s no reason to discard what you say about the confines of a prison from a
    This content is protected
    But there is also zero way for either of to know the answer to this question with any certainty at all based on the evidence you’re providing or any of us from outside the minds of two guys one of whom isn’t even alive the other not exactly a close friend of either of ours.

Now I haven’t changed my outlook on this theoretical or a lot of what you’re saying pretty much all of it honestly because I’m an a$$ but I will apologise for conducting myself caught up in my own arrogance, I could’ve made my point without being myself as I do and I’d like to say sorry, sincerely so to you as a person.

14. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Lewis had been one-shotted twice. Why is it a surprise he'd have been real cautious with Tyson? Tyson never lost his power, and always had the ability to pull off an upset when he was shot.

Point being, I don't know that being cautious in that fight means **** about Lewis, other than that he was a smart fighter. It's not like he wasn't winning anyway. If that fight had gone to decision, it would have been a shutout.

15. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Well let's leave it at that then. No worries.

Every single h2h discussion will involve guys we either don't know and/or are dead so I'm not sure what makes this discussion any different.