Sonny Liston v Lennox Lewis in a street fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Scott Cork, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    There are some absolutely mental takes on this app, they’re acting like Lennox Lewis would be scared to have a street fight hahaha

2. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Yes street fighting was something Liston had experience in, whereas Lewis could be described as a little more cerebral, however Lewis at 6'5 weighing 240+ pounds and with a punch like a mule kick would not be the average opponent on the pavement arena, facing Liston would no doubt trigger a fight for his life reaction by Lewis.

Bottom line like most street fights, the one who gets the first hard punches in would likely be the victor, neither were light punches and both knew how to put a hurt opponent in a whole lot more hurt.

I would not be volunteering to try and stop them fighting that is for sure.

3. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Imagine Liston picking on Lewis. Then Lewis loses his temper. Lewis picks 210 Liston and throws him all over the place. Liston is smart and backs off. Street smarts takes over.

4. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Lewis doesn't have the chin to withstand Liston in a street fight.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  5. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    I think journeymen like Tex Cobb and Dominic Negus could have taken a lot of elite boxers in the street, Danny Hodge too. I would say Vitali Klitschko is slept on in this talk too.

Did Ali have any street fights? I know Fury stated he has never been in one and Wladimir Klitschko said he had one when he was a little kid and that's it.

cross_trainer and swagdelfadeel like this.
  6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Just like he did to Rahman right?
    This content is protected

7. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Dempsey and Tyson as well would be beasts in a street fight, I imagine.

8. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Everyone, you do know how ‘hard’ or ‘screw lose’ someone is doesn’t make them better in a street fight, I don’t know where this notion comes from

9. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021
    To be fair Rahman was physically very strong, he's likely doing that to Liston too

cross_trainer likes this.
  10. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    On one hand we have someone experienced in street fights, brawls in prison, and flat out fighting cops with nightsticks, shoving them in bins, and oh yeah, he also hospitalized an armed cop for disrespecting him and broke his legs with his bare hands. On the other hand we have Lewis, a class act who's likely never been in a street fight in his life..... getting bodied and manhandled by Hashim Rahman on national television.

Hmmm this is a tough one.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  11. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Knowledgeable and sensible as always John.

JohnThomas1 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  12. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021
    Angelo Dundee even said Ali wouldn't have beaten Sonny Liston in a street fight. Some guys are more suited for something less restricted than boxing and some are trained in more than just boxing which gives them more tools.

In the boxing ring a guy like Wladimir Klitschko beats guys like Tex Cobb and Danny Hodge 10/10 but in a street fight? Wladimir is getting wrecked.

13. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Liston would win.

Liston was a great boxer, and also a great street fighter.

Lewis was a great boxer, and only a great street fighter by default.

14. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    No basis for that. We've never seen Liston in a situation like that, nor do we know what he'd do in a situation like that. I can guarantee though, he would've thrown punches or something, and shoved Rahman off of him. Rahman's strength was impressive in terms of lifting, but his functional strength was nothing exceptional to say the least.

15. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021