Sonny Liston v.s Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
  2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I actually think that Rocky would really trouble Liston.

But I do see the outcome as pretty much inevetable. Perhaps he'd be ahead on the scorecards but I guess Rocky would get KO'D before the end of the 5th.

Nobody hit like Sonny.

3. jc

jc Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 9, 2004
    i can only see one winner in this and it is Sonny Liston. Everything Rocky does plays into Listons hands imo.

Clay layed the blue print on how to be a peak Sonny, i really doubt Rocky can box like that.

I think Marciano will be KOd before 10.

4. Ramon Rojo

Ramon Rojo Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2005
  5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I cannot think of a champion who would be worse news for Marciano stylisticaly than Liston.

6. Jupiter1610

Jupiter1610 New Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Agreed. The only way Rocky might stand a chance is to get inside, and Liston's freakishly long, powerful jab is not letting that happen. Liston wins by mid round KO.

7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I actually tend to disagree. A guy who comes straight at him and is able to take his shots without taking them might just throw him for a few rounds. A thrown fighter might just have trouble with Rocky.

But i'd bet on Liston, for sure.

8. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I wish I could pick Marciano here, but I can't. Sonnys jab and uppercuts would make the Rocks face anything but pretty. Frazier bobbed a little deeper then the Rock but I think the result is the same, Sonny by ko. Dempsey is the exception here and I would have it a pick-em because Jack could move around and then dart in when he had too, plus at his best Jack was very fast doing this also.

9. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    I wish I could find away to disagree just to give another perspective. I can't.

10. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Liston would destroy all three swarmer: Marciano, Frazier, and Tyson. It is a styles issue. Granted, those three are vastly different from Patterson but still look at the stylistic aspect.

11. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

My initial thought was Liston, but im having second thoughts now.

Liston was bigger and had an absolute GIANT edge in reach. His power was also better and he had a much better jab than Marciano. But Marciano had better stamina and was tougher.

If Marciano can not get blown out early his workrate would start to take away Listons stamina and leave him open and that would be his best chance. But the best bet is that Liston is able to keep him at the end of his jab and rough him up bad.

Liston by UD.

12. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I couldn't have said it better myself.:good

13. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Luigi must be burning up right now.:yep

14. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    butterfly..:D

15. fightking12

fightking12 Member Full Member

May 26, 2007
    Probably Liston will win because Marciano fought at a lighter weight back then