Sonny Liston vs Evander Holyfield primes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jun 15, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So in an alternate timeline, prime HW Holyfield is champion in 1959. After defending his title against Johannson who he stops in 8 via TKO, he gives Sonny Liston a title shot in 1960. Who wins this one?

2. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Holyfield’s tendency to brawl would probably be his undoing against Liston.

Holyfield could make it very close if he would fight according to his strengths, he is faster than Liston and could focus on quick combinations and counterpunching but imo Liston with his jab would outbox him for stretches and win a close decision, if Holyfield would try to make it a slugfest with Liston he would get knocked out.

3. BrutalForeman

BrutalForeman Active Member Full Member

May 17, 2014
    Liston by devastating KO

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  4. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I pick liston..

IMO brawl to brawl liston win..

If holy Box he can win..

5. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Liston is a better brawler and a better boxer than Holyfield. Whichever route Holyfield decides to take, he is fu c k Ed either way.

6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Don't know about a better boxer, but Liston would use his jab more unlike Bowe

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Holyfield would brawl because it was his nature

Brawling with prime Liston gets you hurt

8. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Looks like I'm the odd man!

I see a similar battle as with Liston vs Cleveland Williams who is same height as Holy. Big difference is Cleveland was limited with endurance.

1st round he busted up Liston fighting from the outside or maintaining distance when he threw. When they boxed inside is where Liston took control. I can see Holy dominating the distance like Cleveland. But unlike Williams, Holy's inside game is a bit tighter.

Side note- Bowe was one of the few big men who were accurate on the inside and didn't need distance to extend that long reach. Liston is a good boxer, but doesn't have that same inside game as Riddick. When Holy Bowe II -as long as Holy stayed outside, he limited Bowe.

I think that would cause Liston to do what he did against Clay, over extend, lunge, then follow as opposed to cutting the ring off.
    Since LHW Holy took Qawi's best, @ HW, took Bowes, Foreman's & Tyson's best, I think he can take Liston's best.

A war goes the distance, Holy MD.

9. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Sonny by KO.

10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Depending on which Holyfield gets in the ring imo. If he keeps his cool head on and elects to use his jab , bounce in and out and not go for a ko , then maybe he'd get a close decision win . But if he tries brawling and going for the kill , then he's walking in to Sonny s hands . Liston would rip his punches in , slamming uppercut s and banging to the body .
    Holyfield would fight back of course ,he'd attempt to get Liston back but this would backfire on him . We'd see Sonny at his vicious best as he'd drop Holyfield several times before the ref call s it off .

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  11. Arminius1

Arminius1 Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    I doubt if Sonny could knock him out. He may keep him at a jab's distance and win a decision however.

12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    My money is on Liston. Holy a bit overrated at this point

13. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Totally agree plus...the original poster put Holly at prime in 1959; at that time he wouldn't have been the same Holly we've seen.
    1959 Holly vs. 1959 Bear? TKO or stoppage.
    1995 Prime Holly vs. 1995 Prime Sonny? Same result.
    My $0.02

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Sonny it's underrated for his size IMO.

Vs floyd patterson is still his prime.
    Patterson 1 & 2.

213 & 215,5lbs it's big enouh for me.

Holy 1990-1996 range 205-215 for comparison

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  15. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Holyfield fought monsters .. even at the time he fought them Tyson and Lewis were very dangerous , highly skilled punchers. The first two fights w Bowe were titanic as well .. Holyfield was as game as anyone and had an exceptional chin .. I feel the Bowe third fight was a combo of him being on who knows what as well .. that said, a prime Liston was a monster .. Since I don't see anyone except maybe a prime Louis possibly knocking out Holyfield or possibly Frazier based on styles, I'd say Evander in a very close decision ..