Sonny Liston vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ali Frazier, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Ali Frazier

Ali Frazier KO ARTIST Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Reading this issue of boxing monthly, and there's a segment on Sonny Liston. Two guys who worked with Liston claimed that 'Sonny would've made a Frazier fight just as one sided as when Big George demolished Joe in Jamaica'.

This quote refers to the time when Frazier was champ after Ali was in exile. Could Liston have feasibly beaten Smokin Joe, even after the phantom punch?

How do the two match up prime for prime?

2. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I feel Frazier is tailor made for Liston, i think Listons own comments about Frazier were something like 'It would be like shooting crabs in a barrel'

With Listons size, power and jab, he would make things very difficult for Joe. It would be a long drawn out beating.

3. Ali Frazier

Ali Frazier KO ARTIST Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Frazier and Liston are pretty similar in size and shape.

Liston has a great jab but it's slow, Frazier is an Atg at slipping the jab and firing away.

Punch for punch not many can match Liston, but Frazier has the strength and power to force Liston back as he pounds away at his face and body. I think that when Liston does get his shot off, he won't land enough to finish Joe off.

Liston was never one for late knockouts neither so I pick Frazier to stop him about the 11th.

If Joe was any smaller I'd have to pick Liston but he's big enough that size alone won't win it (as it would if it was say Liston v Rocky)

DS Phil Hunter and RockyJim like this.
  4. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I think Liston would do some damage in the early rounds and likely put Frazier to the canvas probably two times maybe more but if Frazier can find a way to weather the storm and make the fight a long war I gotta go with Frazier in the long run. Not to say Liston wasn't durable but few fighters could withstand the relentless punishment that Frazier at his best could dish out over a 15 round fight I see him breaking Liston down around the 11th or 12th should he last through the first 6.

RockyJim likes this.
  5. Meazy-E

Meazy-E Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2012
    I completely disagree with what you said. The similarities end at height and weight, which joe is also smaller in both, but the shape is totally different. Liston is built for annihilating opponents, and while joe Can slip jabs, the 11 inch reach advantage for sonny would be a huge factor. Those jabs keep frazier moving, and once he moves Into range liston would breach his guard with weird angles and bomb him out within 7 rounds.

swagdelfadeel and redrooster like this.
  6. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    The Joe Frazier that George Foreman fought would not stand a chance against Liston and this is what most people don't realise ...that was not the real Joe Frazier.

Prime Joe Frazier landed his big hook as frequently as most fighters land a jab and would lead and land at range ON THE WAY IN. He was deadly sharp with it. Take that away from Joe and you have what Foreman fought - a guy who had to walk in before he could land.

Against the real Joe Frazier Liston would be meeting with those hooks at the range he would be trying to land his own jab. He's not throwing around a 180 pounder here either.

Some how Liston missed out on physical maulers his own size. guys like Miteff, Chuvalo and Bonavena where bis power could have looked less enormous. Frazier was almost as physical as those guys that Liston was unproven against but at his best was also more accurate and relentless with power shots than any fighter Sonny ever fought.

It is not a fight Liston has his own way.

7. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    liston would hammer frazier in a way that ali could even dream about.

8. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    How?

9. turpinr

Feb 6, 2009
    he'd make him eat his jab and bust his face up.sonny had a belting hook off his jab which he would use and frazier would be tailor made for his upper cut.
    it'd be too easy to say the fight would be a carbon copy of foreman-frazier.

10. perko

perko Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2010
    The Frazier that fought Ali in FOTC would beat Liston , any version of the Smokin Man after that would struggle . Joes style and health problems meant a very short prime .

Balder, choklab and richdanahuff like this.
  11. turpinr

Feb 6, 2009
    frazier was kept well away from liston even when sonny was just a shell of his former self.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    The hook of prime Frazier was faster than Listons jab and he could land it and double up on the way in like a jab. He threw more hooks than most fighters jab. He used it like a jab then pounded you inside too.

Frazier was harder to hit than Ali -according to George Chuvalo.

When Liston is jabbing he is getting hit with hooks. What is harder, Listons jab or Fraziers hook? Liston has hooks and uppercut too but how many times will he be getting picked off with Fraziers hooks to land them? Do you think Sonny will lead with an uppercut?

Liston will land but the point is Frazier hits him a lot, lot more. First, last and always. Sonny was conventional and not fast enough for a prime Frazier. It is not the Frazier that Foreman fought. Prime Joe was more accurate and relentless with power shots than any man Liston met.

DS Phil Hunter likes this.
  13. turpinr

Feb 6, 2009
    :lol:we'll have to agree to disagree then.i don't see it going the distance and couldn't see sonny losing but frazier definitely did have the edge on bottle.the longer the fight went the more chance frazier would get cut or more likely pick up those horrific swellings on his way that he got off ali.

14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes, you cant rule anything out Liston was a beast too. :good

Just think Frazier -At his prime- was a force for any heavyweight. Easy fight for nobody.

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The premise that Frazier would be hooking Liston while Sonny jabbed him is fundamentally flawed because Liston would be connecting out at range before Frazier was even in punching distance .
    Once inside Frazier would walk into Liston's uppercut, and Liston's hook was harder than Frazier's if not as frequent .

Liston also had a very hard right hand making him a two handed fighter as opposed to Frazier who was essentially a one handed puncher.
    Liston had a better chin, and better resistance to facial swelling,after fights, Frazier often looked like he had put his face in a bee hive.
    Liston and Frazier almost the same size? BS! Liston is bigger everywhere except in the thighs.
    " Frazier harder to hit than Ali":patsch
    Frazier is made for a prime Liston imo.