Sonny Liston vs Ken Norton, both prime, 15 rounds.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Feb 27, 2021.

1. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Norton will initially come forward and then get backed up and will retreat and get knocked out. His movement is completely different than Ali's who was just a bad style matchup for Liston

The cross armed defense did nothing against Foreman and Shavers ... Liston will make short work of him like those two.

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Come on Will, you're better than this. It's simply not true that Liston was "slow as molasses". Maybe against Ali, or in his later career but their was absolutely nothing wrong with his foot or hand speed (though it may have looked that way because of his reach). He was no Tyson or Patterson of course, but he was deceptively quick, an observation noted by several of his opponents, including Ali. Go back and watch his fights with Whitehurst, and Machen and see for yourself.

Also, it's not true Liston had no defense. According to compubox stats (which I admit means next to nothing to me), Liston had among the highest slip and duck rate of the heavyweight champions. He also exhibited excellent defense against Machen, and especially Williams where he had to with the bombs Williams was throwing. Hell even in his mid 30s, injured, and having fought 3 rounds in 3 years, he still made the GOAT miss full blown combos at times. He was also one of the rare few who maintained his defense going into the late rounds. Don't take my word for it, watch this video and see for yourself
    This content is protected

3. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    You missed the point. I didn't write that to say that Norton was better than Liston, or that those things would even work against Liston. Besides, we all know the less skilled guy often wins. Look at Foreman-Frazier I.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    It has been a while since I've watched Liston, and I will pay careful attention when I come up to the 50s and 60s again, but I feel like I missed out. I can't recall ever seeing Liston exhibit any defense, and I only remember seeing Liston fast once, when he threw a series of body blows directed at Machen.

5. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I recommend watching his fights pre-Patterson to get a better gauge of his speed, and defense. Even at the end of his career though, he still exhibited great head movement and excellent boxing skills against Scrap Iron Johnson, bombing away from him at long distance, though he'd clearly slowed down a step by then.

6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

That's it,,Norton can't fight backing up and he sure can't back up Sonny Liston. Now that being said Ken Norton is no bum , it's just his style can't survive Sonny's.

7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Kenny gets pummeled I'm afraid. As it's been pointed out, he can't fight backing up, and let's face it, Liston will back him up. Norton gets stopped before 3.

8. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    There was no QUIT in Norton!!!

9. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Well done.

You must feel very proud and big spouting the same old tired shite, year in, year out.

Try looking in the mirror.

JohnThomas1 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  10. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I have always liked and admired Kenny. But Sonny is more skilled than Earnie. If Earnie can take Kenny out early, so can Sonny.

11. JohnnyBriton

JohnnyBriton New Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2021
    While I’m not as enamored with Liston as many others (my all time list would likely get laughed at), I see Norton wilting in the mid rounds. If he can last into the later rounds, anything could happen - he did go the distance with Holmes which ended in one of the best 15th rounds in history. If Norton wants to slug early on, forget it.

12. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I pick Sonny Liston via knockout win.
    I prefer Norton as a fighter and I think he could outwork Liston, if he would have a great chin (e.g. like Chuvalo). That's not the case, though. Liston`s jab, also his right hand as finisher and his resilience are probably to strong.

13. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    If only you were in his corner against Shavers, Cooney, and Foreman. We would've had a totally different outcome!

14. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I agree with others, who have said Liston by KO 1 or 2. No knock on Kenny. It's just that Liston's style and power would be poison for him. That's probably true for most pressure fighters.

15. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I mean this mainly for you @swagdelfadeel, but I made my statements on this one, not because I think Norton stands a good chance against Liston-cuz I don't think he does stand one at all-but cuz I want people to question Liston, despite his greatness, cuz I do think he is a touch overrated on this forum.