Sonny Liston vs Ken Norton, both prime, 15 rounds.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Feb 27, 2021.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    At least for me, it's not like a have to watch a boatload a crap before I finally get to the Liston fights.

Clinton and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Yeah. I love them.

Clinton and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Your posts are pretty good.

Clinton and William Walker like this.
  4. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Sonny would Butcher him

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  5. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Sonny Liston had no defence? You don’t know **** about boxing my friend

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  6. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Oh, I mean the quality of the fights. There were so many great fights from the late 30s to late 50s.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    What the hell do you need defense for when you just bomb people out. What the hell did Liston need defense for, say, when he fought Floyd Patterson? Duh. Cuz Liston was on the offense, that's why. Basic math my friend. You should really do it sometime.

8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I love Ken, but yeah.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Liston was better defensively than some seem to think. He was a really good boxer, it's just that he was so powerful it superseded his other skills.

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Norton was beyond fragile when forced back on a consistent basis. His chin could take a hit up to a certain point (he could take Ali and Holmes power basically all night but certainly not that the big hitters) but somehwere beyond that he capitulated. This really isn't a difficult one. there would be no cute battle of the jabs for round after round.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Foreman was reasonably slow too. Norton probably the better stamina than George too. How did that go for Ken?

If you think Liston had no defense to speak of you need to watch him again. His defense is both good and multi faceted. One only has to watch the two Williams fights to see how he rolled defensively.

12. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I agree that's an outlandish claim, but I wouldn't go that far. Will is only 18 years old, and is still learning about boxing. He evidently has a ways to go, but he is definitely passionate and eager to learn. Just take it easy brother.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  13. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Yes, I went into depth about his defense in post #17. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and the video I posted if you don't mind. I think people just associate Liston as a not very intelligent, one trick pony (based off the Ali fights), which couldn't be further from the truth.

14. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Excellent way to put it Rules. As I was trying to explain to JT1, it's like people only focus on his power and associate him with a limited slugger who didn't offer much else.

15. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Sonny certainly deserves the edge..but again the comparisons with Foreman are deciding too much here.

we know Norton succumbed to Shavers, Foreman and Cooney which is why Sonny should get a strong chance here. But even on that basis Norton is more imposing than Floyd Patterson.

Norton did very well against Larry Holmes. Rather than Foreman, why are the comparisons not equally made with Larry?

Against Pattterson sized men Larry was actually fairly devastating himself. Ocassio, Leon Spinks and Marvis Frazier. The thing was, Larry was mostly against good fighters a size bigger of which were not around during Sonnys times.

So I think it is a tad lazy to bracket Sonny in with Foreman and Shavers for results against Norton. Those guys flattened more big men who could really fight.

kenny could really fight. He should be the underdog but don’t write him off. It might just be competitive.