Sonny Liston vs Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Dec 6, 2015.

1. FlyingFrenchman

FlyingFrenchman Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Just when we were getting along so well, you have to act like this lol. Take the blinders off man, Cleveland Williams was shlt! He didn't make it past the 3rd round vs. LHW Bob Satterfield KO3, Sonny Liston KO3 and KO2, or Muhammad Ali KO3. Who did Williams beat? He went 1-1 vs. Terrell and he drew with Machen. There is nothing else worth mentioning on his resume except for negativity or wins over total bums.

What other "big punchers" did Liston beat? Niño Valdes was washed up. Patterson could crack but he didn't land anything significant on Liston. Patterson was down more than any other HW Champ (20 times). Many of those knockdowns (I think 9) were vs. Johansson and Liston in 5 different fights.

Liston didn't duck anyone, he was ducked... Cus D'Amato didn't want Floyd Patterson fighting Liston but eventually Patterson insisted. Who did Lewis duck? Lewis is the one who got ducked and was actually paid millions in step aside money. Sure, he retired after V. Klitschko (instead of fight him again) but at that point he had nothing else to prove.

As for Holyfield? Lewis won their first fight but it was scored even. The rematch was close and a case can be made that Holyfield won but it wasn't a robbery. Prime vs. Prime maybe Holyfield wins, so what? Holyfield would beat Liston too.

2. blundell

blundell Active Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Let me guess, you have the opinion that it is Ali?

3. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Tyson or Holmes.

4. blundell

Dec 11, 2014
    We all are entitled to our opinions. But, I would keep that quiet around here. :lol:

5. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Whatever way the fight goes, nobody is "toying" with the other.

6. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I'm talking in terms of punching power.

7. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I'm sorry for being so rude. I admit it was a little uncalled for. Lewis did do his fair share of ducking.

Wladimir Klitschko. Number one ranked contender.

Bowe. Number 1 ranked contender.

Chris Byrd. Number 1 ranked contender.

John Ruiz. Number 1 ranked contender.

Corrie Sanders.

Valuev. Lewis infamously didn't like being the smaller fighter.

Chagaev. super star prior to turning pro.

Foreman.

Ibeabuchi

Holmes

Roy Jones

Hide.

As for Evander beating Liston? That's your opinion. Your saying it like you're certain. Like you've actually taken a prime Evander and put him in the ring with a prime Liston.

8. blundell

Dec 11, 2014
    You are right I agree. I should have stated that I meant the height difference. Liston being a midget compared to Lewis, so he would toy with him at times using the jab.

9. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Well trying to convince us that 'Lewis ducked Bowe and Wlad, is so ridiculous that l think l'm done with this thread. As others have said Liston has the tools to perhaps win an upset but most posters, me included, would pick Lewis at their respective bests.

Your comments are so unbalanced that your dislike of Lewis has clearly affected your ability to assess this on a rational basis.

10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I don't respond to trolls and its a practice that I think others should incorporate into their activities here.

11. Threetime no1

Threetime no1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 29, 2010

Your fooling nobody. How old are you btw?

12. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    :huh

13. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Good post. :good For me, this is probably how things pan out as well.

14. Vanboxingfan

Feb 5, 2005
    What's the point of arguing the ridiculous? Lewis never avoided, Wlad, Ike, Sanders, Bowe etc and everyone who's followed boxing for any length knows this. Your opinion is way to warped to even attempt to change your mind, so what's to argue?

15. Vanboxingfan

Feb 5, 2005
    Yes, a do occasionally get baited into arguing with trolls, it's a habit I'm trying to correct. :good