Sonny Liston vs Tim Witherspoon

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, May 6, 2021.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I think this is a tough hard fought fight. Forget the Bonecrusher result, Tim was not that willing that evening. No more so than Sonny may or may not have been for the second Ali fight.

But Sonny should have the class here. If it’s the prime switched on Liston that stayed on top of Machen at a good pace for 12 rounds versus the best switched on version of Spoon, I favour Listons work and heavy hands to take it on points. Tim is too crafty and tough to be taken out.

2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    All good posts except I dont agree with the new guy or is it an old guy that's new again lol anyway yes Liston in a good fight that goes the distance as long as Tim is in very good fighting trim

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I do have reservations regarding the Bonecrusher fight. I mean, Tim did paint a very sorry view of his relationship with King.

It's just hard for me to believe he'd just throw everything away like that.

I guess I just hope that's not true of Tim. I'd rather believe he just got caught with a particularly ugly punch than believe he just quit.

choklab likes this.
  4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    He didn’t quit. He was just was too disillusioned and lacked the appetite to properly fight or get up for the fight. And Was taken by surprise.

mentally he wasn’t there. Even if he trained right, if the heads not right, you lack one of the crucial margins that can depend on the result.