Soto now get's his biggest opportunity . . .

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by psychopath, Jun 26, 2007.

1. psychopath

psychopath D' "X" Factor Full Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Marquez, Pacquiao offered

UNION-TRIBUNE

June 26, 2007

Humberto Soto of Tijuana has been given an option by Top Rank Inc. either to challenge Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 15 for the WBC super featherweight title or attempt to wrest the WBC/International super featherweight crown from Manny Pacquiao on Oct. 6.

This content is protected

The option was spelled out yesterday by Soto's manager, Nacho Huizar, after Huizar had met in Las Vegas with Top Rank officials. Huizar said he has until tomorrow to reach a decision.

2. psychopath

Mar 13, 2007
    JMM fight offered by TOP RANK? Does GBP approve of this? :roll:

3. knockout

knockout Make my day Full Member

Feb 18, 2007
    unlikly if you were Soto what would you pick?

4. Boom_Boom

Boom_Boom R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12 Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    it makes perfect sense, Pacquiao reliquished his mandatory spot which makes Soto the new Mandatory for Marquez's belt. The standard title fight cut will be 25/75 for Marquez and if Soto agrees to it,Marquez has to defend or be stripped.

So Soto has to choose between fighting for a championship but less money against Marquez or fight Pacman for a ton of money.

5. pejevan

pejevan inmate No. 1363917 Full Member

May 24, 2006
    Do you smell what Arum is cooking?

6. knockout

Feb 18, 2007
    Arum cooking up a stew of bull**** because he trying to have Soto to win the title and make him fight pac.

7. reed_man02

reed_man02 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    not **** holms. i think the ese suliman is going to stip marquez if he doesnt fight the interm titlist(i think?) in soto. other than that, i cant imagine why jmm would want to fight soto.

8. psychopath

Mar 13, 2007
    I'd pick Marquez! :yep A Pac fight can be bigger for Soto in terms of money but if Soto beats Marquez, the Soto/Pacquaio fight can even be bigger.

And if JMM loses his belt . . . we might finally see Pac/JMM II. JMM cannot be asking for more than what is being offered if he doesn't have a belt.

9. psychopath

Mar 13, 2007
    My question is . . . has Soto been officially declared as the number 1 mandatory by WBC after Pacquiao relinguish the position?

10. psychopath

Mar 13, 2007
    It's not the main reason but it's part of the bargaining chip for Team JMM and GBP to ask for more money.

11. knockout

Feb 18, 2007
    :think HmMm makes cents.

12. psychopath

Mar 13, 2007
    Yeah undetstand it's business. But logically it's not right that Pacquiao agrees to a 25% share against JMM having 75% because he has the belt since Pacquiao is the main draw not the champ.

Now what I'm saying here is without the belt both parties can make a better arrangement . . . after all, what we wanted is to see is for that fight to happen. . . with or without the belt.

13. psychopath

Mar 13, 2007
    Well no disagreement with that.:yep

14. Carlos Primera

Carlos Primera Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 8, 2007
    i'm a pac fan, but him signing with arum over oscar, was just a bone headed decision. all the lucrative fights for him could have been made had he signed with gbp. anyway if i were sotto i think a pac fight would draw more money for him, and he's been talking a lot of smack about manny so he'd probably choose pac.

15. CASH_718

CASH_718 "You ****ed Healy?" Full Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Marquez is already signed to fight Jorge Barrios on HBO PPV on september 15.