Sources: Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury fight generates 325,000 PPV buys

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GlassJoe, Dec 13, 2018.

1. GlassJoe

GlassJoe 1-99 TBE Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    The fight between heavyweight world titlist Deontay Wilder and lineal champion Tyson Fury on Dec. 1 generated approximately 325,000 pay-per-view buys, multiple industry sources have revealed.

Showtime declined to comment on the pay-per-view figures, but the total is considered a success given that neither fighter had ever appeared on pay-per-view previously and Fury was largely unknown to the American public because he had had very little television exposure.

Based on 325,000 buys, the pay-per-view grossed around $24 million, though about half that money goes to the cable and satellite providers.

2. lobk

lobk Original ESB Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    About expected. Didn’t think it would have reach 400k.

guncho likes this.
  3. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    If the fight was promoted properly it could’ve easily did over 500k. As critical as I am of Hearn he would’ve promoted this fight to the hilt. This kind of reminds me of Ward-Kovalev, which was another fight that was very poorly promoted.

Salty Dog, Willie Maeket and GlassJoe like this.
  4. LordSouness

LordSouness Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 15, 2014
    About what was expected, I guess. Think it's proof, if you need it, that the money for Wilder fights is in the UK.

Ph33rknot and Willie Maeket like this.
  5. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The Gypsy King is responsible for selling at least 300,000 of them.

Ph33rknot, sid, Breazer5678 and 4 others like this.
  6. GlassJoe

Dec 8, 2012
    Yeah, I definitely agree. I was pretty excited to see those numbers for American interest in the heavyweight division. It's a good return and hopefully building momentum.

Salty Dog and Willie Maeket like this.
  7. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    what i thought it would do

8. GlassJoe

Dec 8, 2012
    You know, Fury really does understand the value of promotion and a storyline. He definitely takes a balanced approach towards the match and creates significant drama before stepping into the ring. Wilder is learning also. He couldn't possibly learn from a better (sometime) heel than Fury.

Serge, Salty Dog and Willie Maeket like this.
  9. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I think this is just a sign of PPV's future in this sport with American fans

I would say despite the low PPV sales the fight has generated a lot of buzz in mainstream sports, even Joshua was on ESPN with Kellerman talking about Wilder

I think this fight enhanced Wilder and Fury in US TV markets people are still talking about this fight

I think Wilder should push for the Joshua fight right now

Holler and GlassJoe like this.
  10. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket The Mothership Connection Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    I would slightly agree. He came through on a media blitz I haven't seen from a UK fighter since Naseem Hamed fought in Detroit.

Serge, KO KIDD and GlassJoe like this.
  11. GlassJoe

Dec 8, 2012
    Definitely. I loved seeing the fight covered, with Wilder being interviewed by Stephen A and Kellerman, Cowherd, etc.
    This content is protected

KO KIDD and Willie Maeket like this.
  12. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I wasnt sure how the disappointing performance would influence public opinion on Wilder but he seems to still be gaining popularity

I hope the buzz stays alive for his next fight would be great for the sport as a whole here

Salty Dog and Holler like this.
  13. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket The Mothership Connection Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    I absolutely agree with you. I don't know why these guys are afraid to travel but if anybody wants to imitate Ali other than talking a good game you have to also have to travel like he did. Ali was a true ROAD WARRIOR , thats why THE WORLD respected him and still sees him as GOAT. Some of Alis greatest fights were on foreign soil, why won't these guys go? Hagler had to travel just to get the title, got robbed, and traveled again and won.
    The U.S. market won't get you over like the old days anymore. 2 fights ago he was in a college gym in Alabama, with Fury he filled the Staples Center.

LordSouness and Serge like this.
  14. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Wp8ld have been a bigger success with a decent undercard and with some good Hispanic fighters on the card.

15. rapscalion

rapscalion Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 7, 2010
    better than I thought it would do really. Pretty good for the first time either guy has fought on PPV and it was Heavyweight fight

Sampneb, Salty Dog and 305th like this.