Southpaw pressure fighters

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by King87, Dec 29, 2012.

1. King87

King87 Guest

James Kirkland comes to mind. I do not consider Manny Pacquiao a pressure fighter.

How come we never see a southpaw fight in the manner of a Duran or Chavez. Do you think they'd lose effectiveness coming forward, applying nonstop pressure instead of being on the backfoot, counterpunching?

Discuss!

2. bballchamp11

bballchamp11 Poster of the Year Full Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Southpaws no longer have their unorthodox angles and therefore lose their awkwardness at closer ranges. Southpaws train to establish some distance between themselves and their opponents. A southpaw master infighter like Pernell Whitaker is a rarity.

3. Vysotsky

Vysotsky Boxing Junkie banned

Oct 14, 2009
    Jirov
    Calzaghe
    Chakhkiev
    Abdusalamov
    Hagler on occassion did a good job of it

4. ROACH

ROACH Boxing Addict banned

Sep 27, 2012
    bball plays video games all day. He doesn't know ****.

If anything most of what everyone says is repeat of what I said a long time ago.

Anyway, the reason why is because there is too much reactionary distance between the strong hand and the southpaw fighter, which means you can get caught, similiar to how Pacquiao was caught a few weeks ago.

That's why fights that have a southpaw and an orthadox fighter tend to be boring. They are both typically risk adverse.

The one that isn't usually gets knocked out, unless the other guy is doing something wrong and not capitalizing on the other guys mistake.

The most difficult opponent one can face as an orthadox fighter is a slightly taller, rangy, slick counterpunching southpaw.

That's why you don't see Mayweather fight Martinez.

5. ROACH

Sep 27, 2012
    That's also why B Hop deserves a lot of credit for fighting and beating Tarver, and attempting to beat Dawson at an old age.

Likewise, that was a masterful performance by Ward.

Too bad the supposed PFP #1 and best fighter of the sport can't pull a move similiar to Ward and possibly drain Martinez down to 154. He won't do it though, cuz he don't want his "bones cracked."

6. bballchamp11

bballchamp11 Poster of the Year Full Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Similar to ***** you wouldn't know what the inside of a boxing gym looks like without the help of the internet.

People copy what you say? You talk with the naive tone of a child pleased with its efforts at potty training.

7. ROACH

Sep 27, 2012
    Hold up...

I don't know if you're the right guy.

There is bballchamp and bballchump...

Ya'll are two different people.

Who's the garbage one?

8. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    This content is protected

Dont forget this man.

Had a short peak, but when he was peaked he was a whirlwind.

9. bballchump11

bballchump11 2011 Poster of the Year Full Member

Oct 27, 2010
    is ROACH trying to diss me or bballchamp?

10. KOTF

KOTF Bingooo Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ayub Kalule

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. ROACH

Sep 27, 2012
    I don't even know.

12. King87

King87 Guest

I'm a southpaw but feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not tall for my division, no blinding hand or foot speed. But I get stronger as rounds go on and I can throw a hard punch. Though there arent very many southpaw pressure fighters/swarmers to study it seems.

13. Slickstar

Slickstar Crisp This Full Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Watch some Winky Wright. Pressure doesn't automatically mean inside fighting or swarming.

14. Scrap21

Scrap21 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 2, 2010
    Calzaghe was a great southpaw pressure fighter.

15. Vysotsky

Vysotsky Boxing Junkie banned

Oct 14, 2009
    Tszyu was supurb at fighting lefites watch his fights against Pineda, Rodriguez, Judah, Mitchell or Kotelnyk vs Alexander. Lebedev is a current southpaw who would be good to watch too.