Sparring is the most important aspect of training

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by pichuchu, Sep 16, 2011.

1. bald_head_slick

bald_head_slick Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 15, 2009
    No. You can't be amazing on the pads unless you can think, fire, and have the stamina to keep firing. You can't skip rope like a pro without timing and endurance. You can't have perfect shadow Boxing technique without some of it spilling over to your Boxing.

So as far as quantity goes? Yes, skipping rope is more important that sparring. Show me a guy who spars 3-5 days per week? I will show you a burn out with signs of being punchy.

Sparring is important. Not more important. If you had to pick it or other things? It could be reduced while the others could/should not be. One tough spar can give you a month or two worth of improvement topics.

2. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

Finally! Thank you! :good

3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    You too.

If you think you can learn boxing by watching then "good for ****in you".

I personally don't care how you train. I just think it's funny that you think you'll be a good boxer when you spar every two months. You won't. Saying "Well blah blah blah did it" doesn't mean **** to anyone, you're not him.

4. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm surprised to see so much disagreement. For me it was the most important thing, I couldn't wrap my head around how people could think they'll box and not spar. For me it was always taking advantage of every chance I got to be in a live fire situation, so to speak. Nothing will force you to be up to speed and emulate what you're actually going to see like sparring does.

5. JabCross

JabCross Member Full Member

May 14, 2011
    This

6. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    That's fine and good, but how many fights have you had?

Agreed, but not all sparring is a war. I might have one good tearup a month or less, but every single session we've got sparring drills for up to 12 rounds. Barely ever take a punch. Even normal sparring sessions don't usually leave you feeling the effects, and if they do you take a break for a while.

The most important aspects of boxing skill are distance control/recognition and timing. You cannot develop these things without sparring. Shadowboxing, you have nothing in front of you to time/judge distance. Heavybag is stationary. Double-end bag, meh, maybe some timing but it has a predictable rhythm. Pads...they're good, but you're often being told what to do and what to throw and what's coming at you. And imo pads can **** up a fighter's distance perception. I know that before I started sparring my training was mitt-intensive, and when I got in the ring I found myself overextending and leaning in because I was used to the target being slightly in front of where it would be in the ring.

Sparring is hugely important, and while you'll spend less time sparring than anything else, it's still the most important thing you do. A fighter can go into a fight having done nothing but spar and run, but what coach would allow a guy to fight without sparring? It's more important than all that other stuff.

Does masturbation make you better at having sex?

7. democritus2k

democritus2k New Member Full Member

May 29, 2011
    If that were the case, I'm the world's greatest sex machine! :smoke

8. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

Youd have to compete with me :hat

9. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

You know whats funny about you? When you have no idea who i am and your telling me i wont be a good boxer cause i dont spar every session like you guys do? My coach went pro simply with 1 amateur fight and he hasn't even sparred. Sparring is important but i personally prefer gathering other skills then applying them at a whole new style in the ring. Thats how it works for me, if someone else did it then i can and i personally dont give less of a **** from people as ******ed as you are who have to be so ****in annoying all the time and always think your right, i like sparring, its the most fun part of training simply cause your actually playing the sport.

10. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

loved the last line :lol:, yes its completely true what your saying. Sparring is very important the thing is how you do it. I like to learn lots of new things and try them in one go in the ring so that i find a new style which im good with. People like sparring because its good training, others like sparring simply cause its fun. We all have different opinions on things and how we use them. For you sparring is important, Agreed. Its very important but for me i would put other exercises before it then use it to master what i've learnt. Thanks for not having an arrogant answer like the guy above, its much easier to understand you that way.

11. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Sparring is massively important, the number one training tool- providing its structured and monitored properly. If its just a fight with no feedback then its useless other then fitness and confidence if you do well.

12. Antsu

Antsu Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Your coach hasnt sparred?

13. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    :lol:

14. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Thing is you're just a kid, a clueless kid at that. You say dumb ****, sometimes very dumb ****, like "Weight lifting bulks up your hands" :rofl. I just pull you up on this dumb **** so none of the other clueless guys follow your clueless advice.

Try giving decent, researched advice not the bull**** you spurt or don't bother giving any at all. Not just in this thread but others and maybe I won't be so "annoying" or "******ed" as you put it.

15. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

What the fk are u on about? Stop being mad and pointless :huh .. Your simply going off topic and since your such a hardhead and you haven't noticed, im actually agreeing with you about sparring being important so i SERIOUSLY have no idea what the **** are you on about? Please clear my mind cause you are one ugly ******ed ****in annoying stupid ass ****, **** you, **** your ******ed opinions, its the internet so stop being a tough **** behind a screen like you always do thinking your some Forum Warrior. I gave my opinion and thats ****in it. Think your the best? Prove it fat ****