Stanley Ketchel vs Harry Greb

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Titan1, Aug 6, 2007.

1. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    My take on Ketchel is that he comes from an era when fighters stood in close and concentrated on head-to-head exchanges with lots of infighting, holding, wrenching of arms, and with a few toe-to-toe exchanges mixed in.

I think he was great in his era because he had good balance and good footwork for a stationary puncher as evidenced by the old-time reporters who raved about his "Ketchel shift" when he evidently would slide his right foot forward (in effect turning southpaw to do it) to obtain maximum punching power with his left hook. That's all fine and dandy if you're trading punches with a stationary foe or if you are lucky enough to time the move just as a fighter is coming in, but against a jack rabbit like Greb, who was always jumping around, left and right, in and out, and up and down, and who knew all the tricks, it just was never gonna work.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Good post and I agree. A lot of formidable punchers lose their pop when facing a shifty, mobile foe who hits and moves. From the sounds of things Greb would be drilling him all night long.

3. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Over 15 rounds Greb probably wins a decision, over 45 rounds I really don't know. Greb would obviously win most of the rounds but would he tire late on & get caught. I like one of the above comments calling Ketchel Feral, I think that's a great description of Stan.

mcnugget1290uh likes this.
  4. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    If it's a fight to the finish... maybe... maybe Ketchel might pull something out... under most circumstances.... Greb easily outpoints him

louis54 likes this.
  5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Greb would win 12-13 of the 15 rounds, and possibly stop Ketchel. Ketchel is very wide open and sloppy on film.

6. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Ketchells early demise courtesy of 'lead poisoning' at age 24 hinders the comparison with Greb, as Greb had not even won a World title by time he was 24.
    So question is would Ketchell have improved enough if Ketchell and Greb were matched at same stages in their careers?.
    I would favour Greb to prevail, however being ringside to watch such a bout would be well worth the ticket price that is for sure.

7. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    IBRO ranks him 3rd at middleweight (behind Greb and Robinson).
    Callis has him #2 at middleweight (after Fitz)… and 7th all-time p4p.

If anything, he's OVERrated, imo!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Mendoza, KasimirKid and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  8. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Those rankings aren't vaguely representitive of what most people currently think.

9. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Nah, he was well in decline by the time he died. He didn't have much left.

mcvey likes this.
  10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Ketch
    Ketchel was in decline when he died,syphilis and the opium pipe had him in their grip.

11. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Old boxing books & newspaper sportswriters used to debate this fight.

This content is protected

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  12. KernowWarrior

Jul 12, 2012
    Yes aware, but syphillis would not have been any part of the decline at age of 24, as for the opium pipe well that crap is going to mess up a athlete.

So it goes down to prime Ketchell vs Greb when both fit, i still think Greb prevails.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Me too, but at that stage Mizner was paying people to take it easy on Stan.

14. KernowWarrior

Jul 12, 2012
    So the stories go yes indeed, but as in so much of boxing history, we will never truly know, that rapid piece of .22 lead put the full stop to the matter.

15. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Hard to see anyone beating Greb so I think he takes the nod which would be competitive. Nat Fleicher thought Ketchel was special and he was a banger and top 10 ATG middleweight

mcvey likes this.