Still no opponent for Bernard Hopkins, but 51yo will fight in Philly this June.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Mar 23, 2016.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    ...and then retire immediately, win lose or draw.

He previously has chased after Golovkin, Abraham, Stevenson, and some other luminaries but the former two have prior engagements scheduled that would make them unavailable for Hopkins in June (Golovkin with Dominic Wade on the horizon and Gilberto Ramirez Sanchez challenging for Abraham's title, both in April) while the latter has outright ducked the old man numerous times going back a few years now.

A real possibility - as he is a moderate east-coast draw (at least in NYC where he sells lots of tickets disproportionate to his fame beyond state borders) and not a huge threat (as would be the case in a Kovalev II or Beterbiev) to deal the legend the ignominy of spoiling his unblemished never-stopped record - is Seanie Monaghan. :think

2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    ...or Fonfara, who's just as big a draw in Chicago.

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Philadelphia does have a 4.3% Polish and 13% Irish population. :think

...and honestly people will probably turn out in droves to see Hopkins versus anyone in his swansong anyway.

4. LordSouness

LordSouness Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Chavez Jr? Would be good to see B-Hop school him in his final fight.

5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    That would be so amazing.

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    ..would require GBP and Haymon to cooperate, however.

7. LordSouness

LordSouness Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Yeah, unlikely, but if I was going to pick an opponent for him that would probably be it.

Not sure I really want to see the old man in there with Beterbiev or anything like that.

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I can't think of anyone but Monaghan and Fonfara that a) isn't tied up with a fight scheduled, b) wouldn't be ruled out by politics or ducking, c) is good/meaningful enough for Hopkins to bother with (Seanie has the unbeaten record; Andrzej the higher ranking and more street cred) and d) is "safe" enough that you'd still favor Hopkins.

9. Henke67

Henke67 One of the 45% Full Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Obviously B-Hop fighting Chavez would be hilarious but I think Fonfara is a great shout. He'll happily fight anyone, has a decent reputation and it's a winnable fight. Perfect.

10. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket The Mothership Connection Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Who ever it is it's good to see b-hop go out on his own terms. He likes to fight, vey hard to come by in boxers these days.

11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Already in training (gym pics cropping up on Instagram) but no opponent named...two months out. You'd think he might want to get that part over with so it can start being promoted? :think

12. TheMikeLake

TheMikeLake Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Do you know what venue the fight is at?

13. Doc Everlast

Doc Everlast Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Put a fork in old Bhop!:dead

14. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    **** yourself.

Show some respect, he's 51.

15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Nope, just Philly - nor a date, just that it will be in June.