Strength conditioning for boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by El Puma, Dec 22, 2008.

1. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    This particular part of my training is a modified version used for the S.W.A.T teams in the western states.

I keep it short,simple, and on a budget so anyone can do it.

I stress that you use the high-tension technique of staying tight throughout the move and keep the rest periods 3-5 minutes long.

Another point I would like to make is to adjust the weight according to body feel. If i cannot finish a 4th set of ''Pistols" (one legged squats) with a 45lb kettle bell, I will finish with the 35lb KB or just bodyweight alone. You will have days where you will feel stronger than others and it is here that the "Greasing the groove" method comes into play.

3-5 Exercises

3-5 Sets

3-5 Repetitions

3-5 Minutes of rest between the sets

Below are the exercises that I use.

'Pistol' or one-legged squat

One armed pushup

Pullup/chinup combined with a leg raise at the bottom of the movement

Deadlift

Kettlebell clean and press

One arm dumbbell clean and push press

Keep it simple,short and intense and your strength gains will go up quickly to compliment your combat training. This is the first in a series of routines I use on a daily basis and will post them as I go along. Thanks and I hope you benefit from this as I have:thumbsup

2. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    One legged squat... I don't even have the balance for that :D

3. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    You can start with using a chair to assist you and gradually groove into the full ass to heel position.

You can also substitute "crushing" a dumbbell by its head(dumbbell is positioned vertically) and performing front speed squats.:good

4. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    are you in the S.W.A.T or something similar

because i have noticed alot of your routines are from S.W.A.T based routines

BTW they are all good

5. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Thank you. No, but I have used these techniques and have gotten great results in a short amount of time. I will also be posting routines that I have modified from Spetsnaz and other Special op based training.

Using these programs motivates me to reach a level of fitness that world class military operators and elite level combat athletes have acquired. We all take different paths to get the same results as long as the core basics of the training are in place.

1. Do not train to failure for strength

2. Variety

3. Short and intense

4. Rest and nutrition.

5. Consistency

6. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    there brilliant routines

7. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Hello again all and Merry Christmas eve.

I have come up with this simple yet very effective hybrid that has origins in burpees and was inspired by my previously posted "bear workout"

Equipment

-Iron Gym pull/chin up bar $30 at Walmart(<Sorry Amy)

-Weighted 20lb vest

-Kettlebell 45lbs

I will now describe step by step the movement. Rep scheme is a 5x5 ladder system

1. Drop to pushup position and perform (enter rep here)

2. Perform the mountain climber movement with both legs (enter rep here)

3. Jump up and proceed to deadlift and snatch the KB ONCE and perform front squats (Enter rep here)

4. Place weight down and proceed to pullup bar and perform (enter rep here)

You will repeat these steps in the ladder rep scheme of 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5 for each movement (except dead lift snatch part) and for 3-5 minutes

The beauty lies in being able to modify the intensity and weight. Plyometric push ups or squats can be integrated in there and modified grips on the pull/chin part with the Iron Gym makes this very effective and less likely to become boring.

The amount of sets and rest will depend on your body feel and weight vest is optional.

I have yet to incorporate my ankle weights in there but when I do, it will make the pullup jackknife leglift that much harder :) Enjoy and keep on rolling guys!!!:thumbsup

8. Rakim

Rakim Captain ****wit Full Member

Sep 12, 2005

I don't have the balance or the strength!

Edit: Just tried again, it seems I don't have the knee joints for it either.

9. Koa

Koa Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Good way to build up for a one legger is to do bulgarians. Basically, put one leg behind you on a bench/chair to help balance you, then do your one legger. Do this and you will build up the basic coordination and start to get the balance required for a one legged squat.

10. Rakim

Rakim Captain ****wit Full Member

Sep 12, 2005

Yeah, someone else told me that lunges are quite helpful as well. All the time I can get to the gym I'll carry on with the normal weighted squats I think, but the pistols must be quality for anyone who does their workout at home.

11. Jazzo

Jazzo Non-Facebook Fag Full Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Badass regime :good

All I do is work on explosion in the gym. I don't lift as heavy anymore as I am looking to get into boxing, but these routines are just my cup of tea.

12. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Merry Christmas Brothers :)

This little gem I picked up from reading Pavel's literature and found it to be very effective in quick strength gains.

The following technique is simply overcoming dead weight without a pre stretch or bounce. I theorize that most grappling and overall combat sports movements start from the ''dead weight" position. i.e. being in the middle of a combo punching movement or shooting technique is easier than the explosive start required at the very start of the movement.

Pushup- begin by lowering yourself and resting your chest on the ground for 1-2 seconds before elevating and finishing the rep.

Pullup/Chinup- I perform this with a weight vest,ankle weights and a kb strapped around my waist and at the start my feet are resting on the ground and the only part of my upper body that is tense at the time is my grip. When I finish the pull movement, I rest my feet at the bottom again and relaxing before I go up again.

I would highly suggest the greasing the groove method as this movement taxes me and going by body feel will help prevent burn out. Rest and nutrition makes up the rest to prevent said burnout.

13. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Here's another sweet mashup that was inspired by the following vid of GSP's strength training.

One armed pushup w weighted vest for reps of 3-5 then immediately perform clap pushups and matching reps used for first movement.

One legged squat w KB (both legs) followed by explosive jumps like the ones GSP performs in the video sans equipment.

Have not come up with one for the pullup portion of things so any suggestions would be very welcome.

A mixture of strength and explosiveness on a budget and time constraints.

[YT]jPDVEWWP4KU[/YT]

14. lenin

lenin what the **** you say? Full Member

Jan 20, 2007
    good looks Puma. got some questions

1) what are your reasons for 3-5 minute rest between sets? buddy of mine was saying he read somewhere that you have to use least time possible between sets to get the "pump" but this causes me tire a lot faster so I take bout 2 minutes between sets

2) how many times a week do you work the same body part? In high school when I had alot of time to lift I'd give them 48 hours of rest before I worked them again. now I'm thinking that might not be enought rest time and since I dont have as much time at the gym I just work every muscle group once a week.

3) what muscles do you group and work togather on the same day? most people I know work arms one day and chest another day. what I do is work chest and trist one day and bis and lats next day.

here's what my weekly schedule usually look like:

monday: chest, tris, abbs
    tuesday: lats, bis
    wednesday: rest
    thursday: shoulders, traps, abbs
    friday: rest
    saturday: legs, abbs
    sunday: rest

15. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    This is called complex training and you recruit more motor units for the same movement, you do this to peak around an event, not on a regular basis.