Strength conditioning for boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by El Puma, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MagnificentMatt

MagnificentMatt Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    I don't have access to much equipment at the moment, so I Am thinking something like this...
    clap pushups/assisted one arm push ups(till I can do one arms)
    push ups with butt in the air, for lack of a better term lol(to emphasize shoulders/handstand pushups
    Pull ups
    Jump squats, burpees, assisted one legged squats
    core routine

2. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012

Farking lol. You listed some of the most pointless isolation exercise and talk about a full body workout. This is for bodybuilding right?
    The only bang for your buck exercise there are the squats and to a lesser extent the bench and the chins.
    If that's meant to be a boxers workout then god help us all.

3. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    That's a good list of exercises for a boxer. Would probably want to try to get some rows in there as well for shoulder health/injury prevention.

4. watpoae

watpoae Member Full Member

May 30, 2009
    I'm hoping to have my first amateur fight midway through the year so I want to adjust my strength work accordingly and start a more boxing friendly program.

Obviously when I have a fight lined up I'll change it accordingly for making weight etc (I walk around at around 12 stone 6 on a moderate training program so I'd be getting down to 11 stone 8 probably with full pre-fight preperation). This is mainly just for ticking over and developing my strength more for boxing.

Currently I do 3 weight sessions a week, spending about 40-45 minutes each session.

I split it into two full body splits, doing compound exercises. Here are my splits:

A

Dumbbell Bench Press 10 x 3
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10 x 3
    Barbell Squats 10 x 3
    Pull Ups 15 x 3

B

Weighted Tricep Dips 10 x 3
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10 x 3
    Stiff legged dumbbell deadlifts 10 x 3
    Dumbbell Bent-over rows 10 x 3

What does everyone think? Mainly trying for strength with these and I try to do each exercise with a 1 minute rest between each set.

In terms of weight, just keep increasing the weight or just limit it to certain weights? With all the cardio I'll be doing I won't have big muscle mass gains anyway but still ensure whether to just aim for maximum weight each session or keep it capped.

On the 3rd session of the week I add a mini core curcuit to the end.

Cheers

5. markkislich

markkislich New Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Hi, I'd change up the exercise order a little to make tings more effective.

Ex:

Day 1

A: Barbell Squats, 10 x 3, 30X0, 120s. rest
    B1: Pull Ups 10 x 3, 30X0, 60s. rest
    B2: Dumbbell Bench Press 10 x 3, 30X0, 60s. rest

Day 2

A: Clean Grip deadlifts 10 x 3, 30X0, 120s. rest
    B1: Weighted Tricep Dips 10 x 3, 30X0, 60s. rest
    B2: Dumbbell rows 10 x 3, 30X0, 60s. rest

Twice a week with this workout is all you need, like Mon/Thu or Mon/Fri, whatever. There should be at least 2 rest days (from lifting) between the workouts.

Explanation:
    A station is single, so you do the squats (or deadlifts), rest as prescribed and do them again.

B1&2 is a double station, so you'd do B1, rest for 60, do B2, rest for 60, back to B1, back and forth until all sets are done.

That's more time-economical and more effective.

30X0 is the tempo and means lower the weight under control for 3 seconds, then explode up, repeat.

As far as over load: it's important to consistently add weight, BUT! the following is a common newbie-mistake: they slap on weight every time until form (and eventually the body) breaks down.

The professional way of doing this is to add weight as soon as you hit full reps on all sets, not earlier!

So say you did 10 sets of 3 reps on the deadlift, with perfect form and tempo, then next session the weight goes up, usually by about 5% or so, 5-10 kg for the dl for example.

Then again wait until you get full reps, and raise again.

One more thing: this (above) is a good phase, but a phase is all it is, meaning you'd do well to change it up after some 4-6 weeks or so: everything changes, rep bracket of say 6 that time around.

Hope that helps brother, Have Fun!
    :good

6. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Good exercises there but you're not training strength by doing 3 sets of 10 with only a minute break, that's more a hypertrophy/endurance workout which probably isn't necessary if you're already in decent condition.

7. watpoae

watpoae Member Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Thanks.

So you'd stick with the same exercises but do made 4x4's?

Would you constantly increase the weight when I can lift more or stop at a certain weight?

Eg tricep dip up to 30kg then stop there?

8. vibit

vibit Active Member Full Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I'd increase the weight, otherwise you won't be making any progress. When starting out, maybe adopt a linear progression of 5 lbs per week for smaller movements and 10 lbs per week for the larger movements.

Eventually your progress will stall where you begin to fail to complete your sets & reps. This is when people usually start incorporating deloads as well as adopting nonlinear progressive loading.

As far as reps and sets, some workout programs use a hybrid rep scheme. Some start at 3x5, 5x5, 3x3, or something like 5,3,1 or even 5,3,1,1,1, and using different loads in each set appropriate for the number of reps.

9. MagnificentMatt

MagnificentMatt Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Could I get some critique on my strength training? I posted it in my log in the training log section, thanks!

10. Tar Baby

Tar Baby Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Using 5x5 strength workouts has been working well for me

11. jamesggg

jamesggg New Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2013
    infinite intensity by ross enamait... read it /thread

12. VanSparring

VanSparring New Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2014
    There is a new website for amateur and professional fighters looking for sparring partners. This is a great tool to use to build a sparring network. Please check it out abd let me know what you think. You can join for less than $1 with promo code VanSparr. Join now while the prices are low. Website vansparringpartners.com

13. moha ali hasan

moha ali hasan New Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2014
    is it beneficial to practice strength conditioning for boxing as series of routines on a daily basis after the boxing training .

14. gearproboxing

gearproboxing New Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2014
    yes we should not do this on a regular basis

15. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013