Strength Work For Taller Boxers?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Oddball, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Oddball

Oddball New Member Full Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Hi all,
    Looking for some advice, have been boxing at my local amateur club for almost two years now, have learned the fundamentals but unsually the club has no classes for STR & COND.

Could anyone point me towards a good routine to attempt, my stats are as follows:
    [192cm / 6ft 3] [240lbs (down from 280!)] [77inch Arm-span] [Early 20s]

I have enjoyed the boxing considerably, and its helped me in losing weight, however i still feel considerably weak for my frame, have attempted pull ups and the general calisthenic stuff, but i feel a combination of my weight + long ass arms have made alot of body-weight stuff really tricky (still trying to get that 1st pull up!).

What are other peoples experiences regarding training weights/body-weight and what would you advise?

Many Thanks!

2. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Since you can't do regular pull ups you'll have to do assisted pull ups. Can you do push ups and/or dips? If not then do assisted versions.

It's important to be able to lift your own bodyweight not just for boxing but general health purposes. Once you can do 10 chin ups or pull ups, push ups, and dips then I would advise you to add weight to those exercises and then add in some traditional weight training.