strongest fighter pound for pound

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by red cobra, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Hamsho deserves a mention. Bobby Czyz said in a mid-ring interview immediately after their bout that Mustafa's superior mature physical strength was the direct reason for that outcome (and Bobby was hardly a 90 pound weakling beach puny).

Watching Minter-Antuofermo I & II (especially with the way Alan manhandles Vito in their return), then Hamsho-Minter, we are looking at remarkable duels of physical strength.

Dwight Davison had been a star wrestler in high school, and the squat undefeated Curtis Parker (a pocket Frazier who later came out on the short end with Hamsho twice) actually got wrestled to the floor while desperately trying to bore his way in. Later, although Dwight allowed Sibson to completely outhustle him (in what looked like a walking tank job to me), Tony couldn't budge Davison. The late 1970s and early 1980s were a remarkable era for block of granite middleweights. (This was an extremely unfortunate time for the likes of Parker to be competing.)

2. Del Boy

Del Boy R.I.P Darren Sutherland Full Member

Nov 13, 2009
    While not the best boxers weren't carnerra and Willard circus strong men? Surely they deserve mention

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Can anyone imagine George Foreman on juice like the Klitschkos ? He was a 220 plus monster naturally ....

Seems Jack Johnson has been left out and he was exceptionally strong ... many of the names mentioned are right on ..

Dick Tiger
    Dwight Qwai
    James Jeffries
    Chuvalo
    Terry Norris
    Lennox Lewis

4. bodhi

bodhi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2009
    So many knowledgable people posted so many names, yet no one mentioned Emile Griffith. Shame on you, people.

5. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Dennis Andries, his biggest asset was probably his strength.

young griffo likes this.
  6. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Baby Arizmendi and Henry Armstrong come to mind.
    I love those guys.

7. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Forgive the oversight bodhi..but in another thread I cited him as one of the strongest fighters p4p.

8. MadcapMaxie

MadcapMaxie Guest

I think P4P it would have to be Khaosai Galaxy the man was several weight classes above his opponents in regards to strength, built like a brick **** house to boot. Nobody not even prime George Foreman looked as strong in the ring as did Galaxy he looked like a powerfully built man pushing around little boys (i know theres a diff in quality of opponents). Nobody could out slug him, nobody could push him around, nobody could back him up just a physical beast.

9. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I echo Monzon, Bonavena (at least as strong as Chuvalo), Fullmer, Griffith, and LaPorte

10. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Jimmy Wilde , “I’m sorry, Jimmy; I have to pick you up because you don’t know how to lie down.”