Strongest Jab in history

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    George Foreman and Sonny Liston are the heavyweight standouts for strong jabs that clearly move their opponents physically. Ike Quartey and Marvin Hagler had exceptionally strong jabs at welter and middle respectively. Winky Wright had a pretty stiff jab as well.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders NSB defector Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Quartey has an overated jab. There, I said it.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    How’s a jab overrated? You just look at it and can tell if it’s good or not.

4. Colonel Sanders

Sep 13, 2012
    It doesnt look THAT good to me, but hes always in the conversation about the best jabs. Its good but not elite. Just my opinion.

ecto55 likes this.
  5. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    So who is the strongest in your opinion?

6. ecto55

ecto55 להחזיר את ממלכת דוד Full Member

May 28, 2009
    No, I disagree with that and I think that's what Colonel Sanders is getting at is correct from a technical stand-point. The difference between a good jab and less good jab is only is really only observable when its being thrown at you...when the tel's and flaws that separate the two can be seen. Maybe from watching the video you can see the effects of it or not, but that's only the effect between the jabber and opponent. It can change with another opponent, obviously. Some of he best looking left jabs out there are actually completely sh1t...basically useless, because the opponent can almost see the thought of it coming before its thrown. Bruce Seldon at Hvy could be an example of this....looks great - hard and fast, but that's only a fraction of what make's a jab and there's dozens I'd take in preference over it.

Gatekeeper, Bujia and Colonel Sanders like this.
  7. Colonel Sanders

Sep 13, 2012
    As far as raw, stumping power goes, strongest period, its hard to do better than Foreman.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Charles Sonny Liston

9. Bujia

Bujia Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    So I guess we should ask Colonel Sanders about his personal experience dealing with Quartey’s jab in the ring.

10. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    This thread is about strongest jabs, not necessarily best overall, but whatever. Do you have any particular reason for this opinion?

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think Quartey's jab is overrated as well, as in its great but not one of the best of all time. But this thread isn't about the best jab ever - which is a very broad topic - it's about the strongest. I think Quartey's 'bazooka' is absolutely in with a shout here.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Gatekeeper likes this.
  12. Colonel Sanders

Sep 13, 2012
    The thread asks what's the most powerful jab in history and you answer ''Quartey obviously". Your post is a manifestation of Quartey's jab being overated, be it powerwise or overall. I reacted to that.

13. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    I said “obviously” because he hadn’t even been mentioned yet (which kind of counters your point), not because he’s the obvious #1. I suppose I could’ve made that more clear.

I disagree that his jab is overrated, either way. I haven’t seen even a handful of fighters at any weight that used it as consistently and as punishingly as he did. He had a swarming jab. Not many fighters have ever been able to flat out overwhelm opponents with it like he did.

14. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Look at Marquez vs Pacquiao 4. If you are lunging in with a straight cross and miss and someone is a good counter puncher you are literally helping them set up a devastating right hand of their own.

That's what i mean when i say high risk if someone is dashing forward for the follow up right cross. Even if a heavy jab lands, you're not in the clear just yet. That's why I emphasized that your own follow up needs to be both quick and accurate or you will be launching yourself into the danger zone.

15. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I would have to say so as well.

If there is one boxer who would get a 10/10 rating in terms of raw power for each punch in the book (hooks, uppercuts, cross, body shots) it would be Foreman with either hand and that includes the jab. Liston and Wlad aren't far behind in terms of being able to bust guys up and bully them.