Stupidist thing you've ever heard a trainer say or do

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by brown bomber, Aug 8, 2010.

1. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Whats the dumbest thing you've ever heard from a self appointed expert? In my never ending quest to be a non-**** trainer i've heard some pretty dumb things but these are the highlights i've got at the moment.

Regarding my potential as an amateur

'You might walk the whole lot, am and pro. I think you'll go unbeaten all the way through- your like Thomas Hearns':lol:

Regarding his own amateur career

'Think I had 47 wins and one loss then decided it wasn't really for me'

Regarding a promising local young amateur fighter whose won about 13 and lost 8

'he's the next sugar ray robinson that lad'

Regarding a local fighter he's associated with, who beat another much older local fighter who blatantly came for a pay day

'I told him exactly how to win it- I told him the secret to beating him' (what, turn up?)

Regarding the latest fighter he's conned into training them (a lad who could be a right handful with a good trainer)

'I'll take you down to spar with *** (the local boy he's associated with but doesn't train- knows his father and everything) you don't spar that well and then we'll take a short notice job against him. (ruthless ****).

I'll think of some more - not sure these will come across funny if you don't know the people but please share. :good

2. White Tiger

White Tiger Boxing Addict banned

Aug 3, 2010
    Well not from a trainer.

But Kostya Tszyu use to do press ups on broken glass.

Seemed totally ******ed to me.

Whats that going to achieve ? other than ****ing up your hands and feet.

I fail to see how that makes you any a better fighter.

3. White Tiger

White Tiger Boxing Addict banned

Aug 3, 2010
    Brendan Ingle is quite a **** trainer to in ways.

Trains fighters in such away they can get brutallty exposed with their hands down by their bollocks.

He spouts some real **** too.

4. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I think the worst bull**** I've ever seen came from Billy Graham. Diets consisting of nothing but supplements, extensive use of machines, etc. Downright horrible.

5. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Thats not Billy Graham's advice...

It was that stupid strength and conditioner trainner Ricky Hatton had, and he was sponsored by CNP.

6. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    You are correct, the person I meant was Kerry Kayes.

7. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Well it was in a gym, but had nothing to do with Boxing. Everyone was talking God.I said when Jesus was mentioned that He was because of where He came from, would be Coloured. This coach who was in the gym replied, dont talk like a cnut, Ive seen photos of Him He was white :rofl.

8. AndrewFFC

AndrewFFC Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2009

Worked did it not?

Hatton was always in great shape.

9. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Crash diets work as well, but it's far from healthy. Far from optimal as well, there are things that work much better. It's a miracle that he didn't collapse as far as I'm concerned, it probably worked more in spite of his advice than because of it.

10. HairyHighlander

HairyHighlander BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ?? Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
    :lol:

11. Boxinglad123

Boxinglad123 Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    A trainer once told me that drinking water during a training session will make me put on weight.

12. AndrewFFC

AndrewFFC Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2009

Not suited to all styles but is an adequate defence.

Can sort of see what he's getting at but he's got it wrong somewher down the line. Pulling your right shoulder back will have the effect, pulling your right hand back will just leave you open to a left hook...

13. Mr. V.I.P.

Mr. V.I.P. Boxing Addict banned

Sep 20, 2008

That is the worst possible way to throw the jab. Take any amateur who has never boxed before a complete new person to boxing tell them to jab and they will always lift there right hand like a bow and arrow because they do not have the co ordination to throw one hand and leave the other. If you have been in a gym before you will see the new people do this all the time.

14. Mr. V.I.P.

Mr. V.I.P. Boxing Addict banned

Sep 20, 2008

:lol: I once had a coach like that that would not let us drink water while training. Because it puts the weight you are losing back on.

15. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    The priciple of the shoulder pullback is sound, its the technique thats wrong.