Subriel Ahmed Matías Matthew vs. Jeremías Nicolás Ponce

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jan 23, 2023.

"El Orgullo de Maternillo aka Browny" or "Jere/The Marble"?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Matías on points

9.5%
  2. Matías by stoppage

85.7%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ponce on points

4.8%
  5. Ponce by stoppage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    February twenty-fifth at the Minneapolis Armory, headlining on Showtime. The vacant IBF super lightweight title will be at stake, having been vacated in August by Josh Taylor after the by then fully unified champion made a fourth defense of this belt versus Jack Catterall last February.

Ponce and Matías are ranked #1 and #2 respectively by the IBF at 140lbs. The former is undefeated while the latter is coming directly off avenging his only professional loss to date.

They have one common opponent, in Ponce's southpaw countryman Jonathan José "El Potro" Eniz. Ponce got off the canvas in round three for a UD victory over Eniz, while Matías stopped him in 5 a year earlier.

AwardedSteak863 and CST80 like this.
  2. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
  3. lamarclark09

lamarclark09 Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2022
    Oh man, I just wasted my vote.

4. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I got Matías by stoppage in a brawl. Guy is a buzzsaw.

5. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Stylistically probably the best matchup you can get these days. It's a mirror matchup. True 50/50 fight. I'm really looking forward to this one. FOTY contender for sure.

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  6. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Ponce is solid, I picked him to upset Mueller and then Ritson, long before anyone knew who he was, but... I did the same with Matias, when I picked him to upset Dadashev, I took notice of him around about the Daulis Prescott match. I've always been far more impressed with Matias, and without a doubt he'd have beaten Mueller senseless and actually stopped him and KO'd Ritson far quicker. Based on chin, skill set and firepower, I have a hard time seeing Matias lose this one.

7. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    This will be a great fight for sure, so excited for this match up. 140 has been getting a bit more interesting.

AwardedSteak863 and Dangerwood84 like this.
  8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I frankly see it being violent and uncompetitive.

Ponce is good, but has a habit of standing inert and flat-footed after throwing combos. This will spell doom. If you're going in with Browny not employing constant movement or immaculate defense otherwise, you had better have a cast iron chin or massive power comparable to Matías' own to keep his respect - or ideally both. Ponce has neither.

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Moneyline:

Subriel Ahmed Matías -475
    Jeremías Nicolás Ponce +330

10. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I first noticed him against Dadashev, not easy for fighters to get over tragedies like that. His last few fights, hugely impressive as well. I think he"s the best 140 pounder, a bit too good to be true, to be honest. Ponce, I'm a fan also. Should be good.

CST80 likes this.
  11. Chiko_Tech

Chiko_Tech Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 6, 2006
    They guy not only had that tragedy on His mind. Matias was gunned and survived an attempt to be killed. Not only that a few months latter was jailed in a federal jail for over two years. You have to be mentally iron to endure that to keep you disciplined in the sport.

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Elvis Severino "The Dominican Kid" Rodríguez Mendoza vs. Joseph "Blessed Hands" Adorno and Jamal Ahammad "Shango" James vs. Alberto Ignacio "Beto" Palmetta in chief support.

(there is another 10-rounder on the card, Qudratillo Xabibullo Ogli "The Punisher" Abduqaxorov vs. VeShawn "The Shark" Owens, that is currently not set to be televised unless it squeezes on due to quick finishes or something)

13. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Showtime has gotten to the point where they're pretty consistent in livestreaming the undercards on YouTube. And they will again this Saturday. What chance do you give your buddy? I don't think this win is out a reach for him.
    This content is protected

Serge and IntentionalButt like this.
  14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    VSO? Yeah could finally be his night (not sure he has a nationally televised W yet). After his early hype wore off the Uzbek has looked underwhelming - and like Owens hasn't fought since 2021, in the Crowley loss.

I'm far more confident in picking our buddy Subriel, and to a lesser extent Shango. :deal:

CST80 likes this.
  15. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    This content is protected

How did he get shot 30-40 times??? How is he ****ing alive?