Sucking at Sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by A_M_I_12, Sep 2, 2021.

1. A_M_I_12

A_M_I_12 New Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2021
    Hello, I’ve been training for boxing for 6 months now and I feel like I’ve achieved nothing. I look good hitting the pads and bag but in sparring I get destroyed. Each and everything from transferring weight with each punch, bringing back hands for defence and offensive techniques don’t work. I punch and I get hit back almost instantly. Maybe im holding back because I’ve never gone full force even though it feels like the ones who I spar with are using quite a bit of power while I’m at 25 to 30 percent. When I try a combo I get hit in between my punches by people who have trained boxing just as long as me. I try to apply everything I learn in YouTube videos, mostly Tom yankellows YouTube channel world class boxing, but I still get destroyed. Maybe I should let loose more, idk what’s wrong

2. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Takes years...

6 months is nothing.

joe brown and aaalbert like this.
  3. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Spar. More. Learn on the job. Don't give up.

4. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs All hail his excellency Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Just rehashing what these guys are saying, sparring is the only real way to get better, and it will not be am easy ride you will have to endure some one sided rounds, but stick at it and little by little you will notice improvements. Easier said than done but the more you can manage your nerves, the easier the whole experience is.

TheArchitect likes this.
  5. spion

spion Active Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2004
    If you're getting consistently cracked with hard shots and destroyed in sparring at this stage of your training then I wonder who is training you. That shouldn't be happening. You have to learn the craft without getting beat up in gym wars as fodder for other fighters to sharpen their skills. Getting bullied around is obviously leading to you feeling you're not getting any better and the tension in your mind and body during sparring is stifling your abilities.

If you are taking hard shots and only returning 25 to 30 percent of your power, your opponent has nothing to worry about. Until you get some respect they will walk to and through you. I don't suggest a gym war but you have to let the other guy know you aren't his punching bag. Don't be afraid that if you crack him back he will get mad and beat up on you. This is no sport for that kind of thinking truthfully. Respect yourself and if sparring partners don't respect you then make them respect you or work with someone else.

If you look good on pads and bags, ask the coaches working with you why they feel this isn't transferring into your sparring sessions. I'm saying that if you have good speed and combinations, I don't see why you at least have SOME decent outcomes in sparring.

Work on some drills outside the ring where you are strictly on defense. Have someone throw punches at you. Not full speed, work up to that, but decent speed with gloves on. Get yourself used to seeing things coming without the worry of getting shellacked. Work on blocking and slipping till it becomes easy. At first you might slip a punch with two feet between you and your partners hand. After a few weeks you realize that you can slip in punch with much less effort and not so much distance.

When you are working pads or bags, get used to throwing your punches from good position and return them to the same place. Also, immediately after you finish you combination, (try to always throw more than one punch) move your head or your body or both out of the space it was just in. This will help you to not get counterpunched.

I hope this will help.

TheArchitect likes this.