Sugar Ray Leonard said he had Canelo beating GGG in the rematch . . .

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by shadow111, Nov 6, 2018.

1. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    lol so SRL is out of line by saying he beat Hagler ? He did beat Hagler and most fans agree that he beat Hagler. SRL also said to Hearns as @BCS8 pointed out that Hearns won the rematch even though it was ruled a draw. So right there SRL showed that he has class and he isn't beyond saying his opponent won a fight even if the scorecards didn't say so.

It's interesting that you compare Canelo - GGG to SRL - Hagler as there are similarities. But you know in this interview where SRL said he had Canelo winning after he said that he said how he fought Duran the 2nd time and started getting into the mind and the strategy of it. When you really think about it, the way SRL fought Duran the first time was a lot like how Canelo fought GGG the 2nd time, and how SRL fought Duran the 2nd time was a lot like how Canelo fought GGG the first time.

So there are a lot of similarities between those two fights, and I think SRL can relate to how Canelo fought a different fight in the GGG rematch, by doing the reverse of what SRL did against Duran the 2nd time. (by becoming more aggressive in the rematch instead of less) I mean lets be real, Duran was frustrated by SRL's movement and fighting off the backfoot in the 2nd fight which led to the infamous "no mas". Though not to that extent of GGG walking out of the ring in the first fight vs Canelo, but he was visibly frustrated by the movement Canelo was giving him and that led to GGG talking about how Canelo didn't fight "Mexican style" by coming forward and all that. GGG must have felt the same way after the first fight that Duran felt after the 2nd fight with SRL, that his opponent wasn't doing enough fighting.

So there are definite parallels between Canelo - GGG and SRL - Duran, and based on what SRL is saying there by bringing up the 2nd fight in Duran, in his mind I think he can relate well to the choice that Canelo had to make in how he fought the rematch in the sense of both him and Canelo did not get the decision the first time around and they came out with a dramatically different approach in the rematch.

2. mandatory

mandatory Nuthugger Crusher Full Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Nothing wrong with that.. It was a very close fight.. As much as I wanted to see GGG win.. I think he brought the loss on to himself by talking all that s**t about Canelo running and then he lets Canelo pressure him.. Im not saying I think Canelo won.. To me this fight was actually a Draw.. But if GGG though he was going to get a decision against boxing's new Cash Cow fighting like that.. He only has himself to blame.. Boxing is not a clean sport.. Its all about money.. And Canelo=Money.. Im not taking anything away from Canelo though.. I think the fight was a draw or could've gone either way by a point.. I definitively lean more towards the Draw but GGG waited too much and boxed instead of making it ugly like he should've,, Waited too long again and Canelo even if he was getting outboxed at many times during the fight he pressured most of the fight.. Judges like that.. one a side notes hundreds if not thousands think GGG won.. Twice.. So its the same bs as when the first fight happened.. Exactly what I kept saying I didnt want to happen on the second fight happened..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Even though you can't bring yourself to admit Canelo won, I can respect the gist of what are saying here as you do see it as a draw which is more than the lot of GGG fans who still had him winning the rematch. Yes G brough the loss on himself, first by talking all that s**t about Canelo not fighting "Mexican style" then he retreats and is unwilling to to go toe to toe with Canelo fights that way.

That right there makes the argument that the rematch is a robbery laughable. It's like SRL said, he thought Canelo won mainly because Canelo had control of the fight, meaning Canelo dictated where the fight was fought by taking the fight to GGG. The rematch was much closer than the first fight as far as who fans thought won. And the public's view of the first fight was clouded by Byrd's wide scorecard which contributed to the % of the public who said GGG won as a protest to that score.

More came out after the rematch and were outspoken that Canelo won, like Ward, Spence, Jermell Charlo, etc. And many more made it clear that it wasn't a robbery. The problem mandatory isn't whether or not you thought it was a draw or a close victory either way, it is these posters who still are trying to argue that GGG won the rematch clearly or that it was a robbery that Canelo won and is Champ, which is utterly ridiculous. Canelo won that fight fair and sqaure, he took the fight to GGG, he backed GGG up in the majority of the rounds landing the better impact driven punches and he did it fighting "Mexican style" which everyone was asking Canelo to do in the rematch including GGG's team. Like you said GGG brought on himself what his whole egging Canelo on to fight "Mexican style" and it blew up in his face come fight night when he couldn't handle Canelo fighting that way.

4. mandatory

mandatory Nuthugger Crusher Full Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Hey man.. I have no problem with Canelo winning the fight.. I honestly thought it was a draw but I can see how some can see Canelo won the fight.. Plus he did get the win.. Im not saying I don't admit it. I have to he did win. the official decision was a win for Canelo.. Opinion wise I did see it as a draw kinda.. Ive only seen it twice. But Im ok with Canelo winning it.. I think he brought the fight and after GGG said all the Mexican style BS etc etc.. Yeah he was actually baited and he did not respond how he shouldve.. He boxed instead of ''Mexican Style''..

Ph33rknot and shadow111 like this.
  5. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Yeah and you're making it clear that you are OK with Canelo winning it. The problem is many are not OK with Canelo winning it, and it sounds like sour grapes doesn't it? We have a good amount of GGG fans who continue to call it a robbery or act like Canelo didn't deserve to win.

mandatory likes this.
  6. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    he would to big for May to slick for Tyson

7. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Whether SRL said it, you said it, or I said it, it's just an Opinion , there is heaps of them flying around in the boxing community

8. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    ROFLMAOI I'm surprised GGG's hands lasted 12 rounds the way Moonelo was jabbing them with his face. Try that one Shadow ROFL

9. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    The much feared "knockout artist" GGG was reduced to a jabber. A light ineffective jabber at that. Canelo ate up those jabs like skittles. They didn't discourage him one bit.

10. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Lol! This just makes you look desperate for validation. GEt over it bro! Your guy got the undeserved win. Enjoy it.

11. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    The legend SRL disagrees with you. :deal:

drenlou likes this.
  12. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    i agree with ray. i think ggg won the 1st and canelo the 2nd. you may disagree, but there are too many people who know about boxing and agree with ray, for ggg to have a claim for robbery. wrong fight to try and rewrite.

Contro likes this.
  13. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Do you understand how stupid the op and you sound? "there are too many people who know about boxing and agree with Ray" So youre just going to ignore the fact that there are also people who "know about boxing" that saw it the other way? btw they seem to be the majority.

14. mb1233

mb1233 Active Member Full Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Canelo fought a good fight the second time. GGG came alive too late. I guess I don't take too much issue with him getting the nod in the rematch. Everyone knew it would happen if it went to the cards again in any case.

The real question is the first fight. GGG won that one.

Contro likes this.
  15. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    your reading comprehension is crap... hire a tutor.