Sugar Ray Leonard v Terry Norris prime for prime

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Saad54, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Call me crazy, but I think Leonard wins this by late rounds TKO. He's got close or matching speed and power, as well as vastly superior durability. Also better defense.

The referee saves Terry somewhere around the 11th round.

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Leonard by Stoppage late and for many of the same reasons as above. Norris' chin and defense weren't much to write home about.

3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    SRL, and i think when he hurt him he'd finish him. I'm looking mid rounds.

4. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Norris would likely build an early lead and get knocked out late. He'd have a better chance in a 12 rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. turnip

turnip Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 19, 2015
    One of few who could match ray in speed and skill .ray was tougher that would be the difference.SRL late stoppage great fight.

6. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Ray by mid round to late round TKO, after a reasonably close fight before the stoppage. Norris was extremely talented. But, so was Leonard. And Ray had an intangible fire that would see him to victory in this one.

7. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Norris UD 12 srl

every time
    and
    any place

Sorry Saad but that's already been tried prior to the fight of Feb.9 1991

Not one vote for Terry

but guess what?

Not one round for Leonard either! :lol:

so, opinions are irrelevant, sad to say

as it is, the case for Leonard is so weak

I even tried obliging his fans with PRIME Leonard just to soothe their hurts

even tho Norris-srl was a more than fair fight,,

leonard afficionados told me "no, don't use THAT Leonard" even tho there was no sign of any real slippage in previous uno mas

so I went back and took an earlier leonard 1981-1984

then I was told "no, you shouldnt use Leonard of the Howard fight. I dont care if he was just 27, he just came off a two year layoff"

funny, the layoff didnt seem to hurt him for his next fight :think

so I took the leonard of the Bonds fight. You know, Larry Bonds, that fierce runner with no punch that took SRL 11 just to get the job done

I was told "well, Leonard did knock him out!"

but so what's the big deal in putting out someone that either Curry or Brown could have just as easily put away, but sooner?

It's clear to me that Ray was deficient in the sweet science of pursuit otherwise, srl-bonds wouldnt have taken 11

srl-Howard wouldnt have taken 9

and he wouldnt have fallen behind on all three scorecards on the Hearns fight

that's not me evaluating him, those are the three judges

He just wasnt busy enough, didnt press hard enough

"Moderately aggressive"

Leonard was never moderate at putting the pressure on but even if he was, it wouldnt be enough for Norris, which explains the lopsidedness of the scorecards 120-106

Leonard is not a pressure fighter; Julian Jackson is and to try to extrapolate Leonard from the Hearns fight, and the Bonds fight into one is just plain dishonest. Only an SI sports writer would resort to that extreme fabrication

regarding durability, chin, in favor of Leonard, I found that to be extremely dishonest and disingenuous because of the fact, it was Norris who was found to have put the hurting on Leonard

not to mention, only Norris could claim to have scored the knockdowns

trust me people, the case of leonard beating Norris is very very remote, and weak

The numbers back me up

Again, Norris 120
    Leonard 106

Therefore, in the category of speed the edge goes to Norris

in the category of durability & chin, the edge goes to Norris

my proof? Norris scored all the knockdowns :smoke

point to me where Leonard scored his knockdown of Norris!

see? the facts back me up

the numbers back me up. Just accept it as one of those distasteful facts of life

Norris is superior in every way

Leonard may be a superstar and have won all his big fights but he aint wnning this one! Norris W12 Leonard is a constant

8. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    you're not crazy, just wrong. so are the others

read my explanation in detail to find out why

9. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Well, at least you are consistent in your belief.

That you rigidly hold on to your belief that Leonard was just as fast and resilent in 1991 as he was in 1981 is not logical and supported by evidence, but, hey if it helps you sleep at night.

Maybe, someday you'll take your head out of the sand.

Maybe you'll see that you were the "fanboy" all along, and many of the guys who favor Leonard didn't even particularly like him, but are able to more objectively ****yze this fantasy matchup.

10. Jon Saxon

Jon Saxon Active Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2011
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

11. D9Garrard

D9Garrard Active Member Full Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Saad54 said it better than I, or anyone else for that matter, could.

I mean this as no insult to Rooster, whose stuff I usually enjoy reading, but I'm amused at the idea that Terry Norris is some ATG. Or that Ray Leonard isn't. And I don't like Leonard much at all personally.

12. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013

Exactly. I was beyond angry when Leonard dethroned Hagler. And I am a HUGE Terry Norris fan. I have been to six of his fights and have hung out with him personally. He was a fantastic fighter, and is as nice as they come outside the ring. But, to say that their 1991 fight was a true indication of Leonard's prime abilities is just asinine.

13. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Saad, there was little comparison of the 91 SRL and his welter prime any more then the Ali of the Spinks bouts can be in the same frame he was in for C. Williams, but none the less many of us have thought of such a bout because of Terry's speed and skills. Ray in the Duran bouts had a great chin and far greater firepower and these would decide the bout, a clear ko for Ray in route.

14. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Prime Leonard stops prime Norris.

A good fight for a few rounds or so but once Ray finds his range the writing would be on the wall. Speed would be a huge factor.

15. adokei

adokei Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    You are obviously intelligent, educated and well versed in the sport.
    ...Then you write this...