Sugar Ray Leonard v Terry Norris prime for prime

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Saad54, Jul 18, 2016.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    One can only imagine how good Benitez and Hearns would have been if they'd only had that little bit of speed.

2. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    You migh say that Terry was the perfect blend of both those fighters you mentioned.

he had Wilfred's durability in his legs, and his defensive skills which Tommy lacked

COMBINED with Tommy's speed (only greater) but without Wilfred's painfully slow hands N legs

The result is a hybrid which was too much for Ray to overcome

Wilfred by himself didnt have enough speed but in those days was considered fast

back then in the 147 pound division, you had power, skill, experience spread throughout but you never saw speed

Hearns had better speed than Wilfred, and a good jab

His right hand worked beautifully against stationary pugs with no future left

Leonard however was somewhat more capable. In fact, I picked Leonard to win the fight

If only I had known how close it would be, I'd have been a bit anxious

with Norris - srl however, I didnt have that problem. There was none of that drama we saw in Leonard- Hearns as Norris - srl was a simple, straightforward blow out

as expected, Terry's greater speed allowed him to dictate the pace, which Leonard could not match

All he COULD do is follow and often times resembled the limited stationary stalkers he so often faced himself

He reminded me of the stalker that pursued hearns in the 1981 fight, throwing one punch at a time

and while it eventually worked against Hearns then, terry's defense was too good all around. Everything from his high guard to his conditioning, to his legs which I must say showed no signs of wakening much to Leonard's dismay

Add to the fact, Terry knew just the right method to stifle leonard's in close charging/digging thru grabbing/holding

he was just so smart!

Offensively, Terry was too fast, and Terry much busier with his fists

Sugar was screwed both offensively and DE-fensively

There was nothing Leonard could do but fall behind

which is why I say that it is no longer enough to say that "PRIME RAY" would have won

I mean look at that that stupid guy just wrote "Leonard wins 10 out of 10"

3. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Sounds like an ATG top 5 shoe in. Maybe even tops SRR?

Whose chin did this hybrid have?

4. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005

It seems that when Terry is not expected to win, he does the unexpected

but people, writers like to rewrite things as if it were Terry instead of his opponent that was favored

Your thoughts John

5. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    whose chin?

why do you ask?

Did it not hold up beautifully in the Leonard fight?

perhaps you are a bit disappointed it did not shatter in time for Ray to have his late round "Leonard does it again!" miracle :lol:

Oh well, TOO BAD!

6. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005

Sounds like the same scenario as SRL - Hagler.

7. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Ray was too old for any legendary late round rally like in his heyday. It was past his bedtime when they hit round 6. Old guys gotta have his sleep.

8. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    Terry would have easily defeated Leonard of the Kevin Howard fight which means he would have defeated Leonard of the Hagler fight

and their seems to be no reason(s) coming from srl fans not to believe he couldnt safely handle leonard of the Bonds fight considering the MINIMAL pressure he put on him

I know, Ray tried his bad-ass pressure tactics early on in the Norris fight

That is, until Terry retaliated

BTW, Terry won every round (in contrast to Uno mas in which Leonard won every round)

9. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    Oh well, THAT makes sense!

the rip van winkle (34) badly in need of some shut eye, took this bout since he only had 100 Mil left in his bank account, the result of his nearly 200 bouts

Hey I was wondering, what about Floyd jr. was he also past his bedtime as he racked up a 50-0 record?

I imagine that Floyd being in his late 30s as compared with Leonard's 34, and with several more fights, was as well. So why was he able to come out on top whereas Leonard couldnt?

Floyd always seemed to be able to handle the younger, spry opponents

How does Floyd rank if I may ask?

10. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    no, Terry actually won his fight

Ray needed help from that mexican judge

11. RacingBeat

RacingBeat Casual lives matter Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Thread hijack alert, hey man are you a David Garrard fan or something?

I was at ECU in those days, he was the MAN!!

12. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Red, question, with SRL is his prime... how does it end up... A Ko for Norris? What kind of margin would there be in the decision?

13. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    lopsided points loss. Terry wins round after round in droll but systematic fashion. Ray tries to close the distance, gets cut down. Then a few rounds later, summons the courage to put more pressure. Again pays the price and runs out of time.

Another 120-108 fight or thereabouts.

Same as in their actual fight. Ray unable to do any damage to his elusive target

His problem is he was built to box, counter punch. wasnt built powerfully like Julian Jackson where all it takes is one shot

That sucker was awesome

14. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    Who you beat is nothing like as important as WHEN and HOW you beat them.

By your logic Berbick MUST be an ATG Heavy purely because he beat arguably the best Heavyweight ever.

( I know, fukking stupid reasoning isn't it? A bit like your crowing about your hero beating a natural Lightweight, an old faded Hagler, and a weight drained Hearns :roll::roll: )

15. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    I think I know where we have gone wrong Red. We obviously didn't realise ( unlike his fan boys ) this would be yet another of Leonards famous catchweight fights.:lol::lol:

So lets see, on the one hand we have Norris who won a 154 title, and held it for 3 and a half years.

Against.

A guy who had 2 fights at 154 ten years apart winning a title from the little better than average Kalule, ( the guy was 36 - 0 going into the Leonard fight, 34 of which had taken place in that well known hot bed of boxing,,,,,,,,,, DENMARK ) surrendered it immediately to unify at Welter against the weight drained Hearns ( financially understandable ) but then chooses to defend those titles against the highly dangerous :rofl Bruce Finch 5 months later.

Oh I forgot, what exactly happened in Leonard's 2nd fight at 154?:good