Sugar Ray Leonard vs Hector Camacho

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by steve1990, Jan 16, 2020.

1. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Leonard got what he deserved really. He'd been disrespecting the sport & it's fans for years.

Clinton, Balder, Reinhardt and 4 others like this.
  2. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    It seemed inconceivable to many that a fighter whose best days were at 130 would be able to beat any version of SRL. Camacho was no spring chicken himself, and had struggled with an even older version of Duran. The logic followed that if a 45 year old Duran was able to handle Camacho, it shouldn't be much problem for a 40 year old Leonard.

There was also the perception that Leonard would not take a risk on a fight that he could lose, and had hand-picked Camacho as a minimal risk opponent.

Obviously, in hindsight it was a complete mismatch the other way.

Clinton, Fergy and Balder like this.
  3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Yes, lookin at it from that angle I get it. Suppose it's happened so many times in boxing. Those that thought Ali had a chance against Holmes and Tyson v Lewis. And to think how long Leonard was actually out of the ring when he faced Hector, a lot longer than Ali and Holmes had been.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Momus summed it up perfectly. Remember too that Norris won his next 9 fights or so post SRL and proved himself a sharp world class operator. Camacho hadn't won a fight or significance for 7 years at 20 pounds south.

5. DavidBarnes

DavidBarnes Member banned Full Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Boxing fans are the most disrespectful in all of sports. The way they call fighters bums and cowards when they are risking their life for our entertainment. Boxing fans deserve nothing.

ThatOne and George Crowcroft like this.
  6. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Love it!!! Kudos

7. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Calm down Snowflake!

8. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Did Leonard Hate Camacho? He had no business fighting him or anyone else. He was shot to ****.

The Morlocks likes this.
  9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    He had four millions reasons i reckon. Mad money considering he hadn't fought for so long and lost the last time he did.

He would have thought he was going to win i dare say. Who knows where that would have led......

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Worst Poster of 2015 Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Camacho was shot too tbh.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    But not as shot as Ray was. Camacho was not a top fighter anymore or ranked too high but he was active and in shape, ad Ray was not in fighting shape at all. He would have lost to many guys that day. Ray taking this fight was Ray not realizing where he was which was not really a boxer anymore. I think the problem with Ray in his career later on ( maybe after Lalonde) is that he thought he was a bigger puncher than he really was. He could hit, but Hearns and Duran hit harder naturally. So he felt Hector was a light puncher so he could possibly use his own speed and power to win a decision and become important again. I get the feeling he picked Hector because he thought he could not be hurt and that he would be the puncher and it would be showcased. Duran against Hector? Duran had the punch and was active.

young griffo likes this.
  12. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    People were still p1ssing in Leonard's pocket about his capabilities long after he wasn't actually capable.

In about 1995 there was talk of him fighting Vinny Pazienza and Ring magazine stated (and I'm quoting from memory) that aside from Roy Jones and maybe Nigel Benn (their words) Leonard had no-one to fear from 154 to 168, which was total bullsh1t. Norris was still a world champion and he'd already kicked Rays butt years before and there are a dozen guys I could name off the top of my head that would have smashed him at that point between those weight classes.

Great fighter for sure but he wasn't superman as Camacho so painfully showed.

13. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    No speed no power no chin and loads of ring rust. Leonard really let his ego get to him here. Camacho wasn't the same fighter that he once was but he was still very active. Also the Leonard fight lead him to one last payday against Delahoya

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  14. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    should have put this on the other thread. Never thought Camacho had that left in the tank. Almost one hundred fights? Knocked down only once or twice? I watched his big breakthrough against Bazooka Limon. Outdoors. Camacho's corner in the shade. Limon not so lucky. He was a bit "clownish" but could fight. Underrated in my opinion. I have never seen the Rosario fight that is mentioned often and changed his boxing style completely . Against SRL I felt that he would be overwhelmed by strength and that Leonard could match his speed.

Balder likes this.
  15. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Duran was robbed in his fight with Camacho. He easily won it. He was 45 and Leonard 40. Goes to show who really was the greatest of the fab 4. Leonard getting Ko'ed by his hubris and ego was on of the best things in boxing.

I became a much greater fan of Camacho after he demolished that cherry picker Leonard.