Sugar Ray Robinson - The Greatest Athlete of All Time

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by I Know Everythi, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’d probably go with Bo Jackson, Jim Thorpe and maybe Jesse Owens or Jim Brown as best athletes ever.

surfinghb likes this.
  2. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Finally someone acknowledges Bo and Thorpe … Kudos Saint

Jackstraw and Saintpat like this.
  3. Rafaman

Rafaman Active Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2015
    SRR was in a time where there was 2 major sports horse racing and boxing. The idea of sports science didn’t even exist. Still there are stories of him walking street blocks on his hands with his feet in the air. That’s the exact same thing CrossFit goes on about today. Handstand walks. He did this as a teenager showing his agility. Similarly look at FMJ and how people are amazed by his skipping. Well SRR didn’t skip. The man danced up a storm with a rope. He went from professional beat downs to Paris theatres. The guy was a legend and the only reason we say Pound for Pound. He was that good they had to make up another adjective to describe it. Looking at his physique being so svelt and agile he would have tore up gyms today with all those body weight exercises and speed agility drills and his social media would have millions of views.

Come to think of it. Imagine SRR and the coverage he would have today. The 30 plus person entourage, the clothes, the pink cadillacs owning all the business in his “hood” and keeping it real as they say. He would be a combination of FMJ and Nipsey Hussle but even bigger with a crazy ko streak and every rapper shouting out Harlem in their songs.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  4. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Robinson the best athelete

I hate baseball

5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Don't confuse the stick-and-ball sports guys. They don't understand real athleticism.

6. Arminius1

Arminius1 Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Baseball and Boxing are my favorite sports. Jim Thorpe is the greatest athlete. As stated elsewhere he had won an Olympic Decathlon, played professional Baseball and was a star running back in football.

7. Arminius1

Arminius1 Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Bo Jackson wasn't a very good Baseball player.