Sugar ray Robinson vs floyd mayweather?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Joe_fraizer's_left_hook, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    The #2 WW in the prime SRR era, Kid Gavilan, might be even be a worse stylist match-up for defensive minded Floyd.
    Would you Floyd, rather demise via Firing Squad (SRR), or would rather demise via Machine Gun ( The Keed)?

JC40 and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Floyd is a terrific fighter and a brilliant salesman but the most overrated welterweight of all time. Seriously comparing him w RR ? Crazy.

3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    He's not. He just doesn't get a pass in the same way he often seems to in the mainstream media.

Man_Machine likes this.
  4. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    The reason you've just given is the reason he often gets compare unfavourably with fighters from the past. He avoided the best fighters when they were in their primes and took the softer option too often. It made him smart from a business point of view but it impacts how people view him in relation to other all-time greats.

Smokin Bert likes this.
  5. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    We all have our own opinions on Floyd and historically opinions change over time... but to say Floyd is arguably no #1 p4p and that Robinson is arguably no #1 p4p makes it seem a close run thing when it really isn't.

Also, to say Floyd is "the best defensive fighter ever and I don't think it's really close" is of course your opinion and you're welcome to it, but it is not really qualified with any argument. Best defensive fighter of his era is pretty uncontroversial but is Floyd better defensively than Willie Pep or Niccolino Locche or even Wilfred Benitez?

Boxing history is long so I'm wary myself of using "best ever" unless I have some evidence to back up the statement. Floyd is probably the best fighter of his era, certainly a good shout for one of the 50 best in history and at a push for the top 25, but the best ever? That's a heck of claim to make, particularly in a thread pitting him against a fighter who has been considered the greatest there's ever been for over 60 years.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Man_Machine and Flash24 like this.
  6. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Willie Pep there is an argument for absolutely. But the compubox numbers (I know they can be a flawed system) don’t lie he is literally the best all time at hitting and not being hit. He lacks some power and size compared to some others but what he accomplished is nothing short of amazing...believe me I wasntes him Knocked out most of his career and it never came lol. After awhile I just took an appreciation for his defense and countering ability. I think to not name him in top ten all time is insane to me. To fight the best in the world and consistently dominate even at an old age is something to behold. The only knock on Floyd imo is not coming to an agreement on the PAC fight when they were in their primes...something that embarrassed boxing and both fighters legacies.
    Edit I will add there are a number of fighters with more accomplishment SRR is one. Speaking in terms of ability.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  7. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    I hear ya. Though, compubox wasn't around in Pep's time of course...

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  8. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Robinson by UD

Back in his day you fought everyone and were glad to make some money.

Cherry picking wasn't really an option

9. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Floyd Mayweather is an all time great fighter, no question. He is not an all time great welterweight champion. Can someone please tell me the best natural welterweight who was in his prime that Floyd defeated at 147 ? Zab ? no. Oscar ? No. Hatton ? No. Marquez ? No. Shane ? No. Cotto ? No. Canelo ? No. Paq ? No.

Floyd is a brilliant fighter at 130 - 140 and a very good welterweight. He is also the best promoter in boxing history,

10. JC40

JC40 Boxing fan since 1972 banned Full Member

Jul 12, 2008
    On the money.

11. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    And as I stated earlier, that's the problem with matching him with SRR. You would have to first argue and basically prove 147 was his best weight

12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    And this a a MAJOR truth. It's all about styles and match-ups, Duran gave Leonard hell in Montreal prime vs prime. Hearns destroys Duran in 2rds, Leonard defeats Hearns in 14rds, Hagler squeaks by Duran, but destroys Hearns, yet losses to Leonard Styles make fights ..... Mayweatherjr hasn't done anything at Welter to suggest he defeats Hearns,Leonard, Duran and esp Robinson. Too small 1st of all, didn't carry enough pop in his punches to get their respect, all 4 were just as skilled in their respective strengths, if not more so, all 4 could match his speed. The question should be asked if he would dare challenge himself and get in the ring with any of them in their primes.... His history suggest he wouldn't.

Man_Machine, DJN16 and RockyJim like this.
  13. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Excellent!!!

JC40 likes this.
  14. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    I think you can match him w anyone within reason and as two former welterweight champs is reason but I do find it fascinating that many think he matches up well against Leonard let alone Robinson .. I personally don't think Floyd defeats Robinson, Leonard, Gavalin, Griffith, Napoles, Hearns, Oscar, Tito, Benitez, Duran, Curry at welter off the top of my head ..

Flash24 and Man_Machine like this.
  15. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I think Floyd would have had his work cut out, to successfully best several of the top-flight Welterweights in history; Sugar Ray Robinson being the impassable challenge.