Sugar Ray Robinson Vs Marvin Hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by pacpowerpellet, Jan 24, 2011.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Sugar Ray. To fast, clever, and guess what? He's the puncher in the fight.

2. robinson was faster, more accurate, harder puncher, probably he had better stamina too. robisnon by ud or late tko

3. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Very hard one... Will wait with deciding.

One question, though. What do you think of Hagler's chances coming inside like he did against Hearns? I don't mean that he'd blitz him like he did Hearns, just coming inside often enough to start wearing Robinson down and winning a UD. What do you think of the chances of that happening?

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I wouldn't want to bet against either of these fighters.

5. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Robinson had better durability than Hearns did and more importantly, was much superior at recovering when hurt. Hearns wasn't incredible on the inside, whereas Hagler would find that SRR was a beast on the inside in terms of the damage he could inflict. Look at how SRR creates space to whip in the right hands to the body and follow up with uppercuts to either sternum or face, and how quickly he fires back when hurt. If Hagler bores into Robinson like he did with Hearns, he'd likely find a guy with superior footwork that can turn him and keep him off balance, a guy with timing that can walk him onto shots and a guy that can do damage with the power that he possesses.

6. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    I made a thread about this 2 years ago, one of my cases i put forth for Hagler was this-

Hagler:

he was strong, he was rugged-Gene Fulmer

he had a great chin- Jake LaMotta

he could impose himself- Randy Turpin

he could work combos like nobody's business- Carmen Basilio

It's not that simple, but Hagler definitely has a desirable CV in terms of his attributes for this job. Robinson for me has a chance to win not because he 'is like Leonard' which is silly to me, because Robinson is guaranteed to not come into the fight with a gameplan to steal rounds, he has a fine chance because he is most probably the best fighter that ever lived. I think i'm going to take Hagler, hard one to pick

7. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    The thread should ask who was a better P4P fighter, because Robbie in his "prime " was a welterweight. P4p Robinson was unsurpassed in his time.
    And I think that Robinbson at the beginning of his middleweight venture
    would still beat any version of Hagler...

8. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    T, I'm stumped by your pick of Hagler over robinson. You cite all the great virtues of Ray Robinson.You then call Ray Robinson, "probably the best fighter that ever lived "! But you then pick Hagler over the "greatest fighter
    that ever lived". Contradiction ???

9. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    wouldn't bet a cent on this one, too many probabilities. I think Robinson would take a split decision but hagler would make it a war

10. actually i think that the version ww of robinson would beat mw hagler.

11. Kalasinn

Kalasinn ♧ OG Kally ♤ Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    :blood

Explain.

12. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    Nah Burt i was citing all the similarities of between Hagler and the fighters that beat Robinson at 160 (which was clearly not the best Robinson), I meant that Hagler has attributes in common with Turpin, Basilio, LaMotta and Fulmer. Sorry if i didnt explain that properly. But then I said on the flipside that Robinson is probably the best fighter ever, I just picked Hagler because he has strong attributes here and this is not the best Robinson when all is said and done, but I acknowledge that Ray could definitely win.

13. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    no :lol:

14. well. really, robinson weighed 145 pounds when he did beat lamotta in the second fight... lamotta weighed 161 pounds and he was stronger,he had better chin, he was better inside, he was better pressure fighter than hagler. robinson was absolutely much faster than hagler, he got great combinations, he had great chin and great stamina,he was harder puncher. and i would not be surprised if robinson stops him late