Sugar Ray Robinson's retirement farewell event

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DavidC77, Feb 6, 2020.

1. DavidC77

DavidC77 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Does anyone know what was planned for this?

All I've seen is footage of Robinson greeting Basilio, Fullmer, Olson and Turpin as they enter the ring at Madison Square Garden. Robinson then stands in the centre of the ring for a few seconds with his former adversaries stood in the four corners.

They then all meet in the middle of the ring as Robinson is lifted into the air.

Is that it??? Because if so, it would have been a very brief and pretty lame event.

Does anyone know what else took place and who was involved?

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    It wasn't like the full event was just his retirement ceremony, if that's what you mean. There was a boxing card held at MSG that day, four bouts headlined by Emile Griffith vs. Manuel González in the fifth and final defense of Griffith's unified WBC & WBA titles at welterweight.

They did the ceremony you described, and then Walker made a speech thanking and saying goodbye to his fans, before the MSG brass awarded him with a golden trophy.

DavidC77 and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Oh and the Bull was there as well, of course.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. DavidC77

DavidC77 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I had expected it be on the night of a boxing card but I also expected there to be more to the event than what I described and the trophy presentation.