Sugar Ray Seales

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by buzzsaw, Jun 17, 2007.

1. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Member Full Member

May 20, 2007
    Anybody know what happened to 72 Gold winner and fringe contender?

2. Executioner

Executioner Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Hagler sodomized him

3. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Marvin Hagler punched his head clean off. Not quite literally, but near enough.

4. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I think he means hows he doing now? With the blindness etc?

5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I knew Ray fairly well, actually. He hung around the gym a lot in Tacoma when I fought. It's been 20 years since I've seen him, so I have no idea what he's up to now, but at the time, he was a bit down on his luck, selling Amway products in order to make ends meet, an inglorious end for anyone. Really bad cataracts, could hardly see at all.

Basically, he just hung out at the gym encouraging the fighters; you could tell the trainers and older fighters were kind of embarrassed at his presence, because he was never really included in the "inner circle" of trainers and top fighters there, just hung out with us kids and lesser guys.

I did get to meet Hagler through him, indirectly. There was a benefit in Seales' honor in '86, and I got to briefly meet the champ, my big hero at the time. Nice memory.

6. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    According to Wiki he's working with kids in Tacoma...

7. buzzsaw

May 20, 2007
    Were the eye problems he had (didn't know it was cataracts) diagnosed during his prime in boxing as I was told? If so, any idea when in his career?

8. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    SAL-Thats ashame that the trainers treated him that way.

9. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

............I'm not sure how or why cataracts appear, or if they had anything to do with his detached retinas, which I know he also had, but I know he had them. Not sure when that came about, I never asked. I do know it wasn't at the end of his career, and have heard that by the time he fought Shuler, he could barely see.

10. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

..............It was. They essentially thought of him as a bit of a bum, like people treat the homeless people they see on street corners looking for money; eyes straight, pretend not to notice, that kind of thing.

I don't think many kids knew who he was, either. I was a student of boxing history then, and knew of him because he fought my hero three times, so I was hip to what he was all about, the '72 Olympics, all that. I was thrilled to have met him, so he liked me. My first sparring session went badly, and the first person I ran into coming down from the ring was Ray (not the trainer), taking me by the shoulder and telling me I did okay, just work on this or that, and I'd be fine.

11. buzzsaw

May 20, 2007
    That says somthing about his preception skills as a boxer, "feeling your way" through a 12 rd D to a top contender. I feel guilty for applauding that but there is a sick part of me that sees somthing admirable in that.

12. buzzsaw

May 20, 2007
    Shunning the "losing" in the gym was somthing I learned very early about in boxing. Nobody wants to get close, afraid they might catch "IT". Treat them like Leppers.

13. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

Funny thing about the third fight is that going into the bout Seales was the WBA # 1 contender. This despite losing easily to Hagler the first time and hanging on for a "disputed" (according to Don Sauer) draw. He then lost to Minter and Harris, while Marv virtually cleaned out the top 10. :huh

14. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    You know what it is though... It's the 'Sugar Ray' in his name. They always overrate those ones :D

15. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    still was only stopped twice in 67 fights.minter gave him a bit of a beating in london in '75 stopped him in 5