Sung-Kil Moon vs Johnny Tapia

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sweet Pea, May 2, 2008.

1. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    Who would win this fierce battle?

2. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    Pretend Gabby started this thread.

3. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    I think Tapia's speed would be too much and also the fact that Tapia had an excellent chin.I think that Moon might actually get outclassed in this bout.The only thing that might save Moon from being outclassed would be Tapia's penchant for sometimes slugging when he didn't have to.

4. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    Well that's a pretty good possibility then, as Tapia did that quite a lot.

5. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:roflOh **** that was awesome!:happy:happy:happy

6. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Tapia in his prime before leaving the sport for a bit, had the tools to be an ATG. i do not however, know enough of this Moon to weigh in in a knowledgable non-nutthugger way.

Just thought i'd pay repects to the cat sarting the thread and remember kids, when in doubt, Pac ko1.

7. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    :lol:

Moon was a big hitter and a big banger as well, which is why I am interested in this matchup. Tapia was faster though, and had the ability to outbox Moon, but I think he'd get dragged into a brawl as he so often did, and there's where it'd be very interesting.

8. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    :think It certainly has piqued my interest. Tapia has a very good chind to have taken bombs from a at the time, p4p best puncher in the sport, Danny Romero speaks true of that.

I did however feel that it was an overated label given to an overated puncher at the time pre-Tapia.

9. warchild

warchild Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Excellent contrast of styles. This one is kind of hard to picture, but I'll give the edge to Moon. Tapia attempts to use his handspeed and counterpunching skills to gain an early edge in momentum, but finds out that Moon is definitely on the world class level when he catches a few clubbing leads while stepping back to admire his work. Moon comes forward for 12 rounds never quite letting Tapia's more conventional style take over. Moon was kind of like a super flyweight Felix Trinidad, while Tapia was kind of like a super flyweight Fernando Vargas....that's how I picture this. I'd also give Moon the edge over Kahosai Galaxy I think.

10. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Moon pts, he has the chin to just keep throwing here. Tapia was no Khaokor.

11. Addie

Addie Myung Woo Yuh! Full Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I favor Johnny Tapia.

Moon was quite scary with his combination of relentless pressure and destructive punching power, but I don't see anyone stopping Tapia at Super Flyweight, a fighter who moved up to 126lbs in the twilight of his career and smiled as a prime MAB battered him with 3-4 punch combination's. As others have said, Tapia has a speed advantage, and he showed the capacity to box effectively if he needed to, and I think he could make that work for him against Moon.

There are going to be good spells for Moon in this one, but I favor Tapia to get through them on route to a close but clear 12 round decision.

12. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Morning.

On another note, I found this thread trying to find out info about Moons health nowadays; I hear it's bad, anyone shed any light on this?

13. UncleChris

UncleChris Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2010
    What's a good fight to start with, never having seen footage of Moon?

14. Addie

Addie Myung Woo Yuh! Full Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Both of his fights with Konadu were pretty brutal.

15. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I'd take Moon. I don't think Tapia had the pop to keep him off.