Superfights That Weren't

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sweetsci, Jan 9, 2021.

1. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    I rewatched Tyson-Bonecrusher Smith last night. The promotion called it a Superfight. Going in, it was highly anticipated. It was going to be a war. Of course, that's not what happened.

What were some highly anticipated fights in history that turned out to be snoozefests?

I'll start with that Tyson-Smith fight. It was boring because Bonecrusher kept grabbing, Tyson won almost every round, and you knew that Smith, that night, was unlikely to catch Tyson with a single good punch and stop him.

Michael Spinks - Dwight Muhammad Qawi. This was supposed to be a war, but as I recall Spinks was cautious but effective throughout and Qawi was never able to mount an effective offense. I haven't watched it since it happened. Checking Boxrec, I see the scores were closer than I remember, though.

Maybe Leonard-Duran III, although I don't recall expectations being that high for that one.

Gatekeeper and William Walker like this.
  2. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Dela Hoya vs Trinidad
    Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Sangria, Flash24, velagod and 7 others like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Literally the exact two, in that order, which I was gonna post.

Gatekeeper, HolDat and Showstopper97 like this.
  4. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Lennox Lewis vs Evander Holyfield 1

5. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Good calls.

Gatekeeper and Showstopper97 like this.
  6. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Although Terrell had a spoiling style, his unification match w/ Ali should have been a good fight at least, and it wasn't. Ali had a few fights that went that way. Quarry 1, Ellis, and Spinks 2 should have been very good fights, but none were. Foreman's fights w/ Frazier and Norton had the potential 2 be great slugfests, but George cut them short. Marciano-Walcott 2 is an obvious disappointment, as were the Liston-Patterson fights. Holmes vs. Leon Spinks. McClellan vs. Jackson 2. All heavyweight bouts save 4 the last, but I think superfights that weren't r most prevalent in the heavyweight division.

Gatekeeper and LoadedGlove like this.
  7. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Monzon v Napoles.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  8. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    To some degrees, Leonard-Hearns l.

The Morlocks likes this.
  9. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    See, I really enjoyed Spinks-Qawi. It wasn't a brawl or punchathon, but the tension and expectation that something could happen was palpable the whole time, and never lifted. Later, perhaps disappointed that there were no explosions, we could look back on it as an artful display of boxing and controlling an aggressive fighter. Spinks was nothing short of brilliant. That fight was truly his opus.

10. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    :mad:

11. Ioakeim Tzortzakis

Ioakeim Tzortzakis Active Member Full Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins
    Bernard Hopkins vs Oscar De La Hoya
    Ali vs Frazier 2

Gatekeeper and Bronze Tiger like this.
  12. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    We all sort of knew going in that Mayweather-Pacquiao would not be a good action fight. Same with Mayweather-De La Hoya. But there was high hopes for Trinidad-De La Hoya and that was a dud. To make it worse, it ended in an unpopular decision.

Barrera-Morales 2 was expected to be another great fight but it was merely okay.

Gatekeeper and Bronze Tiger like this.
  13. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
  14. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    In my lifetime it’s been Trinidad-De La Hoya. I was so excited about that fight. It was huge and it was awful.

Mayweather-Pacquaio was a major snooze but I totally expected it and wasn’t disappointed.

Lewis-Holyfield I had me pumped too and it was a bit of a bore.

Gatekeeper and Smokin Bert like this.
  15. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Morrison-Foreman was expected to be a good fight, two powerful punchers, one of whom had a shaky chin, but it was disappointing.

People expected Juan Diaz and Michael Katsidis to be an all out action fight, but it was more controlled and tactical than expected. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t a FOTY candidate like many expected from their styles. Katsidis’s cornerman was really weird. You would expect him to tell Katsidis to be more aggressive and instead he would say stuff like “you’re boxing beautifully, I have never seen such loveliness”