Superfights That Weren't

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sweetsci, Jan 9, 2021.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    This is so cool. I have heard so many people refer 2 his fights as if they were pure ****, and it always got on my nerves. While I agree Monzon didn't have an exciting style, guys like Briscoe, Valdez, and Benevenuti made good contrasts 2 him, and thus good match-ups as well. Watching Monzon-Benvenuti 1 again sounds like I capital idea if I do say so myself.

Man_Machine and fistfighter like this.
  2. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Essentially all of them (LOL).

If a fight is labeled a "superfight" before the bell, it usually is far from it.

Only a couple seemed to exceed expectations, like Ali-Frazier I or Leonard-Duran I.

Beginning with Johnson-Jeffries, Dempsey-Carpentier, Louis-Schmeling II, Ali-Frazier II, Ali-Holmes, Leonard-Duran II and II, Mayweather-Pac, Mayweather-De La Hoya, De La Hoya-Trinidad, and on and on.

The vast majority of the all-time great fights tend to be bouts that were great when nobody was expecting it.

I think more fights that were considered "mismatches" going in have gone down in history as classics than bouts that were labeled as "superfights" going in actually resulted in superfights.

So, don't get too excited about Fury-Joshua, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    SwiftDot, sweetsci and Jel like this.
  3. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Blimey ! You do love to drop Terrell into a conversation don't you Billy ? Happy New Year pal.

William Walker likes this.
  4. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Yeah I do. I detest his tactics and his some of his fights. At the same time, u have 2 admire him 4 some things like his great boxing ability 4 a man his size, his ability 2 break people down simply, and his great inside work, esp. w/ those long arms! I also think he was in two really good fights and a couple more that perhaps get more flack than they should.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    How?

It’s IMO the greatest welterweight championship fight of all time — drama, shifts of fortune, the chess match of the combatants switching roles, telling power shots both ways.

In what way did that fight fail to deliver?

Blaxx and Bujia like this.
  6. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    What?

Jel likes this.
  7. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Best post of the thread.

8. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Genuine superfights are very, very rare (I think some of the fights mentioned in this thread don"t really qualify - Morrison-Foreman was a 'superfight'? Really?) They are once in a generation fights, usually.

Take the most recent genuine non-heavyweight example:
    Manny-Floyd - that was a superfight on the level of superfights of old. No surprise that it sucked.

The three genuine non-heavyweight superfights that ended up being worthy of the name were Leonard-Duran 1, Leonard-Hearns 1 and Hagler-Hearns.
    Leonard-Hagler was memorable enough that it can't really be considered a profound disappointment (unless you're a Hagler fan).

I think most of the ones that ended up being classics are actually ones that were maybe a notch below a genuine superfight. They were certain highly anticipated among serious boxing fans but perhaps less known among the general public:
    Pryor-Arguello 1 was a highly anticipated 'trade' fight that managed to crossed over to a degree (not to Leonard-Hearns levels though) and also exceeded expectations,
    Chavez-Taylor was probably similar.

Joshua-Fury would have to be classed as a superfight when it eventually happens - the biggest heavyweight superfight since Lewis-Holyfield. I don't expect it be a classic and that's probably the rule of thumb - if it's labelled a superfight, it'll probably be the opposite.

Flash24 and Gatekeeper like this.
  9. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
  10. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I've read a few people refer to Leonard/Hearns (I), as not living up to expectations. Although, I honestly can't see why.

It probably rates as my favorite fight, because I think it really did deliver on anticipation (albeit, perhaps in unexpected ways), from two of the highest performing Welterweights of all-time - undefeated and dueling in their prime.

Jel, Flash24 and fistfighter like this.
  11. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Yeah, not getting the Leonard-Hearns shout. That's one of precious few (as Jel alludes) that actually lived up to the hype.

Jel, George Crowcroft and fistfighter like this.
  12. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    There were a lot of lulls in the action mid-rounds. Maybe it was a blessing because Ray should of have Tommy out of there by the 8th.

13. Titan1

Oct 18, 2004
    You don't see it, it's obvioius.

14. Titan1

Oct 18, 2004
    It was not all action, see middle rounds.

15. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Neither does anyone else.