Surprises in Boxing

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sweetsci, Jul 22, 2021.

1. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    This is probably for the guys who've been around a while. I'm not talking about upsets here. More about careers and boxing in general.

What are some things that surprised you, both good and bad, as a follower of boxing?

My first picks:

- The effectiveness of George Foreman's comeback. George was ridiculed and criticized for making a comeback at age 38. Yet he's now thought of as one of the best heavys of the 90's, he's made millions in commercial endorsements, and became a household name all over again.
    - The fizzling out of Donald Curry. Man, he was a future superstar, especially after dispatching of Milton McCrory so quickly. And that was pretty much it...
    - The incredible rags to riches to rags story of Matthew Saad Muhammad. Anyone know how he did - quality of life wise - during his last few years?

2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Curry lost those legs. Same thing happened to the legs of Terry Norris, among others.

But I did not like Curry at 154. Just another fighter that is terrific in 1 division only and the ballgame changes when he moves up a division. Hard to believe it is even the same guy in that Jacquot fight. Even worse was the comeback attempt against Linton.

3. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    As it pertains to the thread-----big surprise was probably the not so great career of Mark Breland. What a terrific amateur and looked like the streets were paved with gold for the guy. Never quite worked out that way. But there was such a big following for him as an amateur---maybe the biggest in America the last 3 decades. and that was during a time when amateur boxing was important and closely followed.

But I thought that frame of Breland at that weight was going to be too much for the opposition. I didn't think there were many around that could deal with that reach and height. Then those fast hands and busy busy busy style of his.

But he was never too good at punch resistance. Hard to see that element in amateur fights. And he sure was not good at the attrition and wear and tear factor of pro boxing.

AwardedSteak863 and Lenny like this.
  4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Surprised boxing is still around and doing ok. Needs better structure. Needs a Dana White of sorts to call the shots. Thought it was done after Pac and May couldn’t get a deal done.

Surprised Wlad was able to make such a great comeback after getting knocked put so bad v Sanders and Brewster. Tip my hat to him

Rope-a-Dope and Kamikaze like this.
  5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    My biggest shock was how much Canelo has developed, Scandals here and there GB is good like that. He learns his lessons well and just keeps working at it. I don't think the hate he gets is very justified. Sure the judges, the true L to GGG the second was razor thin and his L to FM was forgivable. Since then he has done nothing but put in the work every single camp and improve every fight.

Brixton Bomber and roughdiamond like this.
  6. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    the sad story of Tommy Morrison, a talented charismatic fighter, dead of AIDS at 43. Watch the ESPN documentary on him, the story is all in there.

7. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Actually had him winning both fights (barely) but completely understand the first fight being a Toss up. Not the second so much

Kamikaze likes this.
  8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I thought the first was A LOT closer then made out, but I think GGG won soundly. People act like GGG was beating his @$$ around the ring with one hand and drinking a beer with the other.

TipNom and Gazelle Punch like this.
  9. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    I really didn’t have a dog in that fight I liked both guys. There were like four or five rounds thag could have went either way

Lenny and TipNom like this.
  10. Tug Wilson Tactics

Tug Wilson Tactics Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2021
    I'm sure most will file this under WGAF, but I think it's astonishing how John L. Sullivan at 46 years old (13 years after he lost the title to Corbett) flatlined Jim McCormick in the 2nd round of a 4 round fight. McCormick fought Jack Johnson three times, one ending in a 15 round no decision while the last two were DQ losses.

roughdiamond likes this.
  11. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Lomachenko wasn't as good as I originally thought he'd be (for reference, Loma debuted when I was 13 so I basically grew up with him. He was one of the first current Boxers I was majorly interested in).

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  12. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Surprised Wilder wants a 3rd Fury fight. However, either his ego has gone through the roof or he is getting dreadful advice from his team who must see him as a cash cow.
    I for fear for him mentally & physically.

13. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    After he beat Holyfield I thought Riddick Bowe would reign for years.
    I was surprised how bad Tyson looked post prison.
    I thought Leonard would annihilate Hearns in the rematch.
    Douglas v Tyson.
    Jones jnr v Tarver 2.
    What a bad loser Julio Cesar Chavez turned out to be.
    What a great fighter Pernell Whitaker turned out to be.
    Was never a fan, but Lennox Lewis becoming such a great fighter......not counting the corpses of Holyfield & Tyson.
    Just when you think Mayweather can't make anymore of a tit of himself he goes & surprises you.
    Larry Holmes beating Mercer & giving Holyfield problems.
    George Foreman's comeback started out as a huge joke, but then.......
    Don Curry's sudden fall from Mount Olympus.
    Andrew Golota snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against Bowe.......twice!
    Marco Antonio Barrera losing to Junior Jones twice.......then resurrecting himself.
    Mike Tyson overcoming a broken back to K.O Clifford Ettienne.........Tee Hee.

Jel, Brixton Bomber, sweetsci and 2 others like this.
  14. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Panchito Bojado with the hype he received never grabbed a title

Randall Bailey winning another title in 2012 truly shocked me

Riddick Bowe's rapid descent from being one of the best in the world in 96 to essentially being done 2 fights later.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If I recall correctly, this was proven to be a different McCormick than the one who faced Johnson. This was not the Texan Jim McCormick. I think I had a thread largely about this years ago.

roughdiamond likes this.