Swarmers vs. Sluggers

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by SwarmingSlugger, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SwarmingSlugger

SwarmingSlugger Active Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Firpo finally retired after compiling a record of 32 wins and 6 losses in 38 fights, with 26 wins by knockout. In 2003, he was named by the Ring Magazine as one of the 100 greatest punchers of all time.

Anyone who knocked Dempsey out of the ring could hit.....HARD.

2. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    the best swarmers are guys who could also be sluggers..its just that they are good enough...in good enough shape..and can move enough that they are swarmers first. dempsey for example had a pretty good one punch shot..and he would have been a top 20 heavyweight even if his feet had been in cement and he could have only thrown 30 punches a round.

A guy like Rocky Marciano while not the biggest one punch guy was also a hybrid.....Tyson at his very very best could be a swarmer...but usually he was more of a skilled slugger.

3. wolf122333

wolf122333 Guest

They all lose to the slick black boxer. We fast

4. SwarmingSlugger

Nov 27, 2010

Agreed, but the Rock not a big one shot puncher? I think Jersey Joe and others might disagree.

5. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    no he was..i would just say that he usually did wear guys down....

6. SwarmingSlugger

Nov 27, 2010
    Agreed, he fought like a swarmer but could slug with the best of em.

7. bald_head_slick

bald_head_slick Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 15, 2009
    I think I agree with Critic the most. A "Brawler" is a Puncher or Puncher(-Swarmer?) that works in close range usually with an extremely pressure oriented style. Where as a Puncher (slugger) is not limited to any specific range or punch volume.

Pure Boxer - skill
    Puncher - power
    Swarmer - will
    Hybrids - Boxer-Puncher, Brawler, etc...

8. Critic

Critic Limited Edition Full Member

Nov 30, 2008
    This. :good

9. SwarmingSlugger

Nov 27, 2010
    Have to say I never cared for the term "volume puncher", since by depending on who u ask, one would have to throw x amount of punches to be a volume puncher.
    I always think of swarmers as fighters who like to fight at close range on the inside, whereas sluggers like to fight toe to toe and of course boxers, fight from the outside.
    Also, we hear the term boxer-puncher, why do we never hear "swarmer-puncher?"

10. Leon

Leon The Artful Dodger Full Member

Mar 14, 2010
    This is how I always thought of the term swarmer.

I've seen people categorize the old emmanuel and Mike Tyson as swarmers. Those guys didn't fight on the inside though.

I always thought swarmers are Henry Armstrong, Jack Dempsey, Julio Cesar Chavez, Rocky Marciano, Joe Frazier, etc.

Is it the high pressure and volume OR inside fighting that makes a swarmer?

11. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I think both. I call Hatton a roughousing swarmer but what do I know.:D

12. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    Nigel Benn, who fought somewhere between being a swarmer and a slugger (very similar to a young Mike Tyson in that respect) managed to beat Gerald McClellan in their tragic fight.

Gerald McClellan had MONSTROUS power and good skills for a slugger. Every punch he threw had intentions so bad that they were illegal in many countries.

13. HENDO

HENDO Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Roberto Duran actually could box. He didn't play the role of a swarmer against Barkley. He boxed him and kept his range.

Think Tim Bradley vs Holt he swarmed him, but against Peterson he did swarm some, but he also boxed.

Some guys are versatile and don't necessarily fit in just one category.

14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
  15. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    I agree that Duran was not a pure Swarmer. I do not believe Dempsey was either. I have always classed him as more of a Boxer/Puncher, who did swarm sometimes. There is a difference between someone who attacks and a Swarmer. The better fighter will win most of the time, regardless of the styles, but if the two boxers are fairly even otherwise, styles will often determine the outcome.

choklab likes this.