Sweetest Straight-right In the history of boxing?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Leeroy, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    These are some of my favorite straight right hand KOs.

Toney-Williams
    Arguello-Rooney
    Hearns-Cuevas
    Hearns-Duran
    Hearns-Shuler

2. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    THAT was THE right. You could hear it crack. I thought Rooney was dead and gone.

3. Joe E

Joe E Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2007
    The left upper cut straight right Louis threw to K.O. Conn in there 2nd fight was textbook.Thanks.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    God yeah, the most amazing sound. Scary really lol

5. Danny

Danny Guest

Sanches vs Gomez, Tyson vs Botha were the first two I thought of. There so many, we could go on & on....

6. hdog

hdog Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Hearns - Duran
    Marciano - Walcott
    Arguello - Rooney

7. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Agreed. That kid looked like he had been shot from the referee with a double barrell shotgun.

Gil Clancy said during the replays "Anyone who Argeullo hits with that right hand at one hundred and forty pounds is going to go, I don't care who it is".

Clancy was wrong in the end as Pryor took everything Arguello could throw at him over two fights.

8. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    How can it be anything but the"Suzy Q" that Rocky Marciano landed on Jersey Joe Walcott's chin in their classic title fight in Philly on September 23,1952???

fistfighter likes this.
  9. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    And Mike Weaver landed a good one to dispatch Gerrie Coeztee. (Weaver was one of the truest examples of one punch knockout power in either hand during his WBA Title run. Left hook on John Tate, right cross on Coetzee (and both punches delivered during true championship rounds).

10. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    Well, were Rocky's right hands generally delivered straight down the pike? (I consider him to be a little more of a roundhouser, and the impression I get is that this thread asks about defense splitting straight rights.)

11. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Interestingly enough, many of Hearn's rights were arced, not straight. Including the one that levelled Duran.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to go with Arguello. He delivered it in such a straight line that he actually sacrificed some explosive force in the process, but more than made up for it with his sharpshooting placement and accuracy. Even though he couldn't drop Pryor with it, the delivery, placement, and follow-through was as instructive as the proper execution of a correct and efficiently generated right cross can get.

Against Mancini, Alexis was so methodically graceful and fluid in his deployment of the right that it appeared hypnotically slow, yet it wasn't. He looked like a bombardier fixing his sights.

The Morlocks likes this.
  13. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Tyson vs Michael Jack Johnson

14. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Hearns-Duran wasn't a straight right. That's a right cross; so was Tyson-Johnson and Marciano-Walcott. Maybe I'm being picky, but a genuine straight right travels in a straight line, something like what Arguello hit Pryor with. You know, the one that knocked Pryor's head back and made him look directly up at the stars.

EDIT: Why does my post say 'Last edited by Erebus : 03-04-2006 at 5:40 PM.' :rofl

The Morlocks likes this.
  15. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009