Taylor v Catterall 2, 27th April, Leeds

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ash234, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Plaistow

Plaistow Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Sold out already...

2. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Credit to Jack Catterall fans who have sold out their minibus and row zz in the arena.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  3. ash234

ash234 Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2023
    Taylor should have agreed to Manchester and done 20k tickets. Closer to home for Jack but I reckon Taylor would thrive off going into enemy territory and getting booed etc.

4. ash234

Dec 17, 2023
    To be fair mate he’s sold thousands but I bet there’s fck all to do in Chorley.

Beale likes this.
  5. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Was there for the weekend when the Real McCoy done Brodie with a bodyshot then also present when Hatton won his World Title against Kosta Zoo in the same great venue.

The glory days for boxing fans and a great weekend to be had in Manchester.

Throwback likes this.
  6. ash234

Dec 17, 2023
    Saw Bellew get flattened in Manchester so great memories of the place.

Throwback, Bob Flaps and Beale like this.
  7. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    They have Chorley FM ‘Cumming in your ears’.

Beale and ash234 like this.
  8. Throwback

Throwback "Somebody wake up Hicks" Full Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Believe they sell "I'm a dogger" bumper stickers as well

Beale and Sonny1 like this.
  9. Throwback

Jul 11, 2020
    Wonder if this is genuinely a cash out for Taylor, and if he's a faded/shot fighter? Especially after some truly brilliant performances and achievements.

Catterall won that fight, no question, irrespective of Taylor's well documented issues beforehand, he'll never get an opportunity to change his life and be an undisputed champion again, I'm not a fan of Catterall, but he's an awkward, cagey fighter nonetheless.

No idea if Taylor will have anything at all at 140.

I suppose that's part of the intrigue, not the "beef"

ash234, Sonny1 and Beale like this.
  10. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    Good points and think that maybe the curtain comes down on Taylor’s fantastic career here if he does lose. He’s always been matched tough and he’s been great, a proper world champion, ranked number 1 in the world at his best.

I think he will win a split decision in this one, in another ugly fight. He will then most likely chase Lopez, before hopefully retiring.

Throwback likes this.
  11. Throwback

Jul 11, 2020
    Such a quick fall from grace as well.

No idea why he fought Catterall, he should have vacated and gone up to have a bash at 147.

Was the Catterall fight big money??? I doubt it, he should have taken all the setbacks as a sign and pulled out.

Shame that the furore over the Catterall fight has seemingly overshadowed his fantastic achievement as a proper proper world champion in such a short career.

Sonny1 and Smudge_ like this.
  12. ZiggyBowie

ZiggyBowie Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2022
    I’ve only been to the venue three times. Once to see the Sex Pistols another time to see Depeche Mode and only one boxing card which was David Haye v John Ruiz. I went with my wife. We bumped into Ricky Hatton in a pub in the centre of Manchester who we chatted to for a while. It was a great night with the pubs and food ( Bem Brazil )

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    Throwback, Sonny1 and Beale like this.
  13. ZiggyBowie

ZiggyBowie Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2022
    I’m sure I’ve seen somewhere that he got around $1.5 million for the Catterall fight.
    I would have thought it was more than that tbh as I’ve seen a report whereby he apparently declined an offer from Matchroom as it was an 80% drop of his original purse v Catterall. So if the $1.5 million dollars was accurate. Matchroom have come in with an offer around £250000 for Josh.
    Yeah right.

Sonny1 likes this.
  14. Throwback

Jul 11, 2020
    Interesting that. Wonder what he's worth now that has made him take this uninspiring contest (the controversy notwithstanding)

15. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    As they had sparred a lot previously I think Taylor thought it would be a straightforward first defence at home. In hindsight it was an awful choice.

Throwback likes this.