Taylor vs Pryor

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by 2piece, Feb 23, 2017.

1. 2piece

2piece Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Two guys with very high punch volume battling at 140 lbs

15 rounds

who is your pick?

2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    My initial impulse is to choose Pryor but after more thought I am going with Taylor. Pryor was such a brief, bright flame that we never knew how great he really was and didn't see him against all styles. Meldrick, IMO, had some unfortunate matchmaking that extinquished his flame quickly. But prime for prime, I think that Meldrick's insane speed and top quality boxing skills carry the decision. He's fast enough and seemless enough to take advantage of Pryor's lapses and loose offensive style. Great match-up.

Brixton Bomber and ETM like this.
  3. 2piece

Feb 14, 2014
  4. Hannibal Barca

Hannibal Barca Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Pryor by late KO. Taylor's lack of power would insure a relentless Pryor would wear him down.

RockyJim likes this.
  5. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    What an incredible fight that would be. Can't believe I have not noticed this matchup before. I can see several possible scenarios. Either man has a shot in this.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  6. bcr

bcr Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I think that Taylor might have been too tough for his own good and gets stopped after a brutal fight in the late rounds.

7. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Two of my favorite fighters...I think Pryor's power is the determining factor...He stops Taylor in 10.

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I got Taylor by decision. I am not as sold on Pryor as most tho i certainly consider him a great fighter.

9. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Pryor stops Taylor in 10 in an amazing fight.

10. 2piece

Feb 14, 2014
    I actually am leaning toward Taylor in a decision because he get can usually land first and more often in exchanges therefore getting the better of them.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    He had enough power or at least sharpness. He sure shut down Buddy McGirt. I remember thinking the fight was over at the end round one. McGirt looked like he knew he didn't have a chance yet he hung in there so I give him credit.

2piece likes this.
  12. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    All Aaron. After about the 3rd round and Taylor has used up quite a bit of his gastank trying to keep this guy away. And trying to back him up. The fight would become an inside fight and Taylor would be fighting off the ropes a ton against this guy. Pryor is given zero respect for his mobility and footwork===he'd sure get past the powder puff punches from Taylor on the outside and then it would be a close range type of fight.

I think Taylor simply has to keep this as an outside fight and the better wheels are with the other guy. And an inside or close range fight does not bode Taylor well. I think like others said, 10 rounds and ref waves it off. Bad licking as well and those type losses damage careers.