Teddy Atlas says Tyson isn’t close to being an All Time Great [2017]

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Jul 4, 2019.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
  2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
  3. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    I mean he’s a great boxing trainer.
    Are we just going to toss everything he says out of the window because it doesn’t suit what we learned from Bert Sugar?

Let me harp in further on obscure minority view points that aim to delegitimize boxers.

This content is protected

Curtis Stevens says that Golovkin is not a big puncher. Again, I have zero agenda. Im just posting something from an actual interview that took place with an actual Golovkin opponent.

Now let me do this three more times so I can show you the sheer volume of this obscurely minority viewpoint. By the end of my reign you’ll realize that people who think Golovkin is a hard puncher are crazy. I’m going to personally target and vilify them. Silly fairy tale believers.

4. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    For what it’s worth, most of Golovkin’s top opponents claimed that his power was overrated. Including Curtis Stevens, who withstood an absolute shellacking for 7+ rounds. But none of that fits the ridiculous “Golovkin hits as hard as a superheavyweight” agenda or matches what we can see in 2-second streamables, so what do they know, amirite?

5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    That’s not how it works. We’re supposed to pick and choose the quotes that are most flattering to the fighters we hold in high regard, and dismiss all the other quotes as lies, sour grapes, or intentional hyperbole. Are you new here??

6. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Nah screw that. I’m not here to suck up to boxers. I’m not here to appreciate their qualities as fighters. I’m here to shatter peoples notion that they were talented at what they did. I’m here to tell you that Ali wasn’t that fast, that Liston wasn’t that strong, that Dempsey didn’t hit hard, that Lewis had bad balance, that Foreman was slow.

I’m the reality bringer
    The statue destroyer.
    The idol assassin.

I’m here to make sure that these guys who you people hold in such high regard get torn down from their pedestals.

And I’m here to do that by posting a high volume of extremely minority opinions that run counter to their fables from the time period.

You like boxing? You think they’re oohhh so great? Well guess what? Sharkey once said that Dempsey didn’t hit hard. How’s my ass taste?

Ahem- Oh and before I go, I’d like to remind everyone that I have no agenda. Just sharing some research I found because I’m altruistic.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Flash24 and louis54 like this.
  7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Teddy Atlas is a moron. By any metric or standard Tyson is an ATG. He wants to use a fight after 3 years in prison, when Tyson was a shadow of his former self and a drug addict while ignoring a 4 year run where he cleaned out the division, kept very busy and was winning in emphatic fashion against top talent.

If Tyson isn't an ATG, then neither are Johnson, Jeffries, Dempsey, Marciano, Liston, Frazier and Holmes.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  8. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
  9. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Tyson was an ATG after he beat Spinks.

10. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Tyson is a mother****in legend!

11. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Tyson won the hwt championship when he beat Spinks.

Atlas is brilliant in his analysis. It’s very difficult for a truly knowledgeable historian to rank a fighter with a quitter mentality side by side with those that pushed forward under the harshest of situations refusing to quit.

RockyJim and frankwornank like this.
  12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It depends how you define "all time great".
    Some people claim there are hundreds or even thousands of ATGs in boxing history.
    At the other extreme I've read posts on this site that claim there are two dozen across all weights, at most - and maybe only one or two of them were heavyweights..
    I think someone would have to be firmly in the latter extreme to conclude Tyson isn't even close to ATG.

It would be interesting to note how many heavyweights people do class as ATGs, and on their all-time HW list how close Tyson comes to the cut-off.
    I think almost everyone will agree Tyson is firmly inside the ATG group ... but it becomes interesting seeing which fighters are more "borderline".
    Some people make a distinction between a "great" and an "all time great" which is confusing too.

Teddy Atlas, however, generally talks out of his ass, so that's probably what's going on there.

13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Mike was a quitter, but let's take a completely objective look at his 80s accomplishments. I don't really count the Holmes, but even a cursory glance at what he did to Spinks and Thomas, Carl Williams, Bruno, Berbick...even those wins alone are no joke imo.

Especially the way he did it. He devastated those guys. Ate them up. He was perhaps the most ferocious champ ever in the division.

The quitting thing (not to mention a couple of embarrassing losses) take him out of the top 10 for me. But I have him at a strong 11. He was incredible...he just didn't have a champion's heart imo.

RockyJim and barberboy2 like this.
  14. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Someone please remind me all the specific fights which established Tyson as been a serial quitter?

15. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Mike showed plenty of heart vs Douglas