Teofimo Lopez: There's No Rematch Clause In Contracts For Lomachenko Fight

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Sep 17, 2020.

1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I always forget about the Walters fight. A shame he seems to have retired. He was good.

Zhuge Liang likes this.
  2. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    If rigo isn't his best win then he really has zero relevance from a historic point of view. Linares and Walters are not going to be remembered as anything more than good fighters

Rigo was 40, mostly likely older than that and hadn't won a significant fight in 2 years. That's not impressive.

Rigo jumped 2 weight classes also. Marquez is a much more proven fighter than rigo but your going to say 2 pounds makes rigo a better win then your clearly using 2 standards to judge a near identicle situation

3. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    I’m not the one drawing Mayweather comparisons so you need to calm it with that. You’re also the one who mentioned Marquez, not me.

Loma will likely retire with a good resume but maybe not a great one; he just won’t have had enough fights. That’s just how it is. He’s got a year or two of prime to try and collect the wins of these larger young guns around him. That’ll boost it significantly. But like it or not, he absolutely will be remembered from a historic point of view. His style, his insane AM pedigree, he’ll have a very good run of wins against bigger fighters (well, assuming he wins them) and he’s been a real entertainer.

rorschach51 and vast like this.
  4. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I agree boxing fans who care to look at amateur records will know he must have been a very good fighter but when I'm talking about historical significance I'm talking about achievement, how they are remembered and by whom.

In the same way every other pro sport acknowledges greatness the measuring stick is what you achieved not what you achieved considering x or y.

I'm bringing up Marquez because it's almost universally ignored as a performance simply because of the fact JMM, a certified atg who defeated Pac, jumped up two weight classes.

No one cared that Mayweather was a natural 135 pounder and no one cared that it was Mayweathers first fight in almost 2 years or that JMM was the #2 p4p fighter in the world at the time. The ONLY thing that mattered was that JMM jumped 2 weight classes and that Mayweather came in over 2 pounds. Considering I feel that beating Marquez is more impressive than beating Rigo I don't see how Loma is remembered by anyone other than his own fans

5. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Obliterated?

:lol:

Floyd boxed cautiously and don't forget that there was a catch-weight in place that Floyd completely ignored.

Zhuge Liang likes this.
  6. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    He has been marketed around his AM pedigree since day 1, so people won’t have to go searching for that. It’ll be well known. He won a world title in his third fight. That’s historical (though not unique). He’s won world title at multiple weights against good fighters and looked exceptional in doing so. That all counts. His next few fights are what will really define his legacy, because he needs more than he has now but I think he’ll get that.

I’m not interested in the Mayweather-Marquez thing. Someone else might take over on that part though

7. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Hmmm Lomachenko is no1/2 p4p on the majority of peoples lists, has been for a few years, three weight champion, unified champion and has been the number 1 ranked fighter in several division, two time olympic champions and two time amateur world champion.

Pretty sure hes going down as an ATG and has been a world champion for nearly 7 years, how long does it take to be established?

Surrix and The Real Lance like this.
  8. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    This thread is hilarious.. look at the wolves circling already on the off chance Loma loses.. man he's really got in their heads these past few years.. sorry to break it to you, Loma will lose at some point again but it won't be against a green Lopez who's tailor made for him.. keep the faith tho, when Lomas legs do finally go you'll be able to make your threads about how 'overrated' he always was and it wasn't anything to do with his legs & he just met a better fighter after he 'finally stepped up' et cetera et cetera.. :lol:

vast and Jackman65 like this.
  9. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    I agree, I think this benefits Lomachenko though. He wins, then he don't have to deal with a young hungry fighter for a second time.

10. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Hats off to Loma for taking this fight and for being willing to always fight the best guys at his weight. He has never been concerned about protecting a puffed up record. As stated previously, he already has a disputed 1 in the loss column but I think he would have taken this fight even if he was officially undefeated.

Boxing needs more guys with Loma’s attitude. Too many guys like Tank Davis, protecting that zero, afraid to face top contenders. Tank is dragging his next opponent up two weight classes, and it’s still questionable if he will even make the weight as he has struggled in this department.

It’s laughable to see people on boxing forums cheer for all of these “undefeated” guys and bust out the “Salido doe” attacks on Loma. We should demand more from boxing “champs”. Wonder why Crawford/Spence have never fought? Wonder why so many top guys seem to fight unknowns so often? I wish people would hold top fighters to a higher standard.

Expect more from guys wearing the belts. We will have less undefeated fighters but there will be no doubt as to who is the real champ in every division. And we will see better fights. It will be the best thing to happen to modern boxing. Most boxing greats lost a fight, some lost several. Ali lost, Hagler lost, SRR lost, Hearns lost, Whittaker lost, SRL lost, JCC lost, Manny lost, Duran lost, etc. Floyd started this obsession with the marketing of the 0, and I think it has been bad for boxing.

The best guys should fight the best opponents. This is one area where MMA has boxing beat. Top guys usually fight other top guys and there is less of an obsession with the 0. Boxing would benefit from doing the same.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    radupidu, Surrix and vast like this.
  11. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't follow that. If Loma win, then Teo gets back in line, as it's supposed to be in boxing.

12. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    If Loma gets a no mas win over Teo, I suspect the Lopez team will move north to 140 rather than seek a rematch.

13. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    He better make it count then

14. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Im glad.
    If Loma wins, I dont want him having to waste more time on a rematch.

Theres tonnes of good fights for Loma. He doesn't even have to leave the TR stable.
    The winners of Berchelt-Valdez or Frampton-Herring.(Ideally he'd even fight the winner of the winners of those fights).

Shakur Stevenson is quickly becoming a big name opponent.
    Verdejo is probably only one big win away from earning a shot.

All those are easy to make in house fights.

Obviously a fight with Tank would be great too(Or LSC is he wins)

I feel like Haney will move up soon. Same goes for Garcia.

15. radupidu

radupidu Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2010
    He'd fight Berchelt 100%. The Mexican is game against everyone