Teofimo Lopez: Undisputed or not?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by JSpizz, Jan 16, 2021.

Who is the real lightweight WBC champ?

1. Devon Haney

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Teofimo Lopez

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
  1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    If you agreed with me you wouldn't think Lopez had to beat some guy who got emailed a belt.

2. Stallion

Stallion Son of Rome Full Member

May 6, 2013
    If Teofimo fought and beat Haney, he wouldn't be relegated down to WBC regular or "full", he would still be the Franchise Champion.

Therefore, Teofimo holds the highest championship status in each of the governing bodies (WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO) plus he's the Lineal and Ring champ.

These facts, along with the fact that WBC itself recognized Teofimo as "Undisputed", confirm the fact that Teofimo Lopez is the Undisputed World Champion.

Case closed.

3. JSpizz

JSpizz Jay Spizz. Full Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Hrmm hard to argue with that.
    Alphabet boys hard at work F'n the game up.

So if Lopez moves to 140, does he keep the franchise belt? If so it's not really a LW world title it's just a designation that your the elite fighter in the WBC rankings!

Good chat!

4. JSpizz

Jan 8, 2021
    I agree he should be undisputed, I never said I support emailing belts or winning belts outside the ring.

You asked if Haney was stripped and they gave the belt to Teo, would I then agree Teo is UD and I said yes, because I do. Not because I support the WBC just giving belts to whomever... In fact that was my original issue with the franchise belt. It was just bestowed on Loma. He never beat anyone for it.

sasto likes this.
  5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Loma beat Campbell for the vacant belt.

It had been stripped from Linares, Loma also beat him.

I just think its absolutely bonkers how you don't class Lopez as undisputed but you would if an email said Haney was stripped. It's bonkers.

6. JSpizz

Jan 8, 2021

Ok, to me being UD means you have all 4 major belts...

I don't consider the franchise belt to be a LW specific belt... Because it's not... It can be GIVEN to any fighter in any weight class.

Teo has 3 belts, Haney has 1.

I think it's bonkers that you think he is UD.
    The WBC website has Haney as their champ, he holds the title that Linares and Loma held before him.

Who held the franchise belt before Loma?

Campbell and Loma fought for the belt that Haney holds... So by your owns standards of earning the belt in the ring Loma shouldn't of even had the franchise belt to lose to Lopez in the first place.

Like I said lopez is CLEARLY the champ at 135, but he has business with Haney if he wants to be truely UD.

Good chat, I love it!

7. Geo1122

Geo1122 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2017
    My understanding of the franchise belt is that it essentially frees you from fighting mandatory challengers for the WBC. That challenger would have been Haney, if I’m not mistaken.

I have no issue with Lopez being called the unofficial undisputed champion, but it kind of defeats the purpose, as Haney’s position officially disputes that.

JSpizz likes this.
  8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Given, just like Haneys belt was given to him you mean lol.

Loma had the WBC belt by beating Campbell, but it had been stripped from Linares before that, who Loma so beat.

The guys before Linares who held it all left the division, so he was a rightful belt holder and wasn't just gifted it the way Haney was.

9. JSpizz

Jan 8, 2021
    I don't disagree with much of what your saying, just that the franchise belt isn't THE belt at 135, unfortunately Haney got given THE belt, that's just the way it is.

If it was up to me, there would be no franchise belt and Haney would have fought for his belt.

Neither one of these things are reality though.

So if TL was to lose to RG(hypothetically) and WBC decided to give franchise to someone else is Ryan Garcia UD? Or if TL moves up to 140 and takes the franchise belt with him, does the next guy need Haneys belt to be UD?

The franchise ISNT specifically a LW belt it could go to MW or WW or some other division.

10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    If Lopez loses to Garcia, Garcia is undisputed imo.

11. JSpizz

Jan 8, 2021
    Would be interesting to see what would happen if Haney beat Teo. What happens with regular belt and franchise belt.

I think the problem is the WBC hasn't REALLY defined the franchise belt.

Anyways good chat, I enjoyed that.

sasto likes this.
  12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I imagine the franchise belt is a bit like the WBA Super belt.

I actually would like to see Lopez vs Haney anyways tbf.

Peace.

JSpizz likes this.
  13. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    It seems like where the discussion has led is that the WBC discredited themselves at 135 to the point that you can be undisputed without it, like the IBO belt.

Now the interesting thing is do they ever try to fix? Will Teo be free from WBC mandatories for the rest of his career or what?

JSpizz likes this.
  14. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Haney shouldn't even really have a belt IMO...