Terence Crawford v Chavez Sr at lightweight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eye of Timaeus, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
  2. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Crawford too unproven.
    Similar to the Mayweather Dr fight but Chavez still grinds him down to a UD with Crawford winning 4-5 rounds with adjustments but Chavez negating them by turning up the heat and being more physical

3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    This would have resembled the March 17 1990 title bout, between champions Julio Caesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor. Bud Crawford would give Chavez a boxing lesson for 6 rounds, then Chavez body punching would start to take the movement and speed away from Crawford. Julio, his face badly swollen takes out Crawford with a crushing left hook to the thin battered ribs of Bud. The ten count is tolled over Terrance, in round 9.

88Chris05, KeedCubano and TipNom like this.
  4. BoxingDialogue

BoxingDialogue Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2019
    When was prime Chavez's face ever swollen?

greynotsoold likes this.
  5. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Correct me if I am wrong, but he did have some reddening after the Taylor fight, even though Meldrick did suffer broken bones to the face. This fight like many others, is a hypothetical match like others posted. He really did start showing his battle marks past his prime. But at lightweight he did not show any, this is just for this dream match.

6. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Hhhhmmm. I'm an admirer of Crawford's talent, and he was a big ol' fu*ker at Lightweight, too. Significantly bigger and heavier than some of his notable opponents there come fight night - we know that Chavez was never really cut out for 147, the weight where Crawford currently looks very comfortable, powerful and speedy. I also think that based on styles, Crawford is going to give Chavez problems because he's a rounded fighter who can box effectively without having to concede ground. We saw how Chavez could struggle against guys he couldn't force on the back foot and who could negate his inside game without having to run (LaPorte and Randall in particular).

But Chavez is a hell of a lot more proven, and as the fights against Meldrick, Uncle Roger (II), LaPorte etc. also showed, beating him for the first few rounds was a very different thing to beating him over the long haul. As much as I see Crawford's size and style giving Chavez trouble, he's never faced, much less beaten, anyone as great as JC Superstar and who brings the same relentless pressure, short body hooking and toughness.

I've got to go with Chavez's proven class here. I think Crawford has him struggling for a while but Chavez eventually grinds him down to a late-ish stoppage. Chavez TKO in 9. Much as I like and rate Crawford, he hasn't got enough credit in the bank to convince me he can outlast or outslick a bona fide ATG like Julio yet, even if the weight gives him an advantage.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Chavez did struggle against Rocky Lockridge, on August 3 1986 in Monte Carlo, winning a majority decision.

Reinhardt likes this.
  8. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Chavez breaks him down for a late round stoppage

9. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Crawford is one of the best today. But I can't credit him even for a mythical win against a proven legend until he beats a few more.
    Convincingly.

KeedCubano likes this.