Tevin "American Idol" Farmer

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, May 2, 2017.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    He is among the slickest active boxers, and the most skilled that aren't household names. Farmer is also perhaps the very living embodiment of what every coach tells every plateauing or struggling protégé in the gym - keep working at it, be hungry, be open to learning from your mistakes, believe that you can, and you will improve, guaranteed. His career started with an inauspicious (and that's being kind, really it was downright ratty) 7-4-1 mark with just one KO to his credit, and this run was punctuated by getting stopped by a young, confident & undefeated Sniper Pedraza. You would think at this point a competitor would be relegated to lifelong "opponent" status and that would be that. Farmer, though, got to work and resolved to become a more effective fighter - despite not having a lick of power. Lo and behold, in the last 4½ years he is riding an 18-0 (4) streak and has turned heads with some artful yet entertaining televised performances.

He lacks any major financial backing, however, surmisably in large part due to his early record making him seem a dodgy investment. This has meant bumpy, stop-and-go momentum and having to return to wallowing in the muck awhile even after picking up a good win here and there. His campaign from 2014 until 2016 boasted increasingly noteworthy scalps, and yet since the feather in his cap last July of schooling Ivan Redkach, his three appearances since have seen a degradation in opposition quality and the brass ring of escaping from toil on the club-circuit grind in obscurity and securing a big payday continues to elude him.

That was set to change this summer, as Gervonta "Tank" Davis was reported to have agreed in principle to let Farmer challenge him (to settle their longstanding outside-the-ring score after years of verbal and social media sparring) so long as Tevin got past one last mediocre tuneup last Saturday night, against José Arturo "El Rey" Santos Reyes. Now mind you, Reyes isn't a terrible opponent by any means. In the amateurs he represented Mexico at the world championships and the Olympics, and had a fairly successful international record, and mostly only lost to elites like Rigondeaux and Lomachenko. Even in the pros, Reyes in defeat held the likes of Alberto Guevara and Fernando Montiel to split decisions, and he boasts some passing-fair wins over the likes of Pingo Miranda and Khabir Suleymanov. Still, though, he was but an obstacle to Farmer, the last hurdle in his path to finally "making it" with a chance to break out against the mega-hyped Davis. An obstacle, but an easily surpassed one considering the disparity in skill level between them.

Unfortunately, despite losing as expected, Reyes still managed to fuck up Farmer's plans. After two rounds of action, Farmer ruptured his right bicep and went on to scratch out a decision with just his left hand - a pyrrhic victory as he now requires immediate surgery and could be out for the bulk of the remainder of 2017. Davis probably will not wait up for him. Farmer will have to rehabilitate not only his arm but his chances of getting the big-times call-up, going the long way 'round with head down and drilling his shoulder roll with a patient, Mayweatheresque work ethic, just as he always has.

2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Recent interview with Tevin.

This content is protected

Sad. He was so excited to finally get a piece of Gervonta. Also he seems to be realistic (without losing face) about the fact that Al Haymon probably views him as tainted goods because of his record and lack of notoriety to date, and that he's probably a long shot to get signed by a big promoter or management team. He knows he's doing this on his own, through dedication and self-motivation. He also realizes that while he isn't a major commodity nationally speaking, he sees an opportunity to become the next guy to galvanize the dormant boxing scene in Philly and seems enthusiastic about putting the city and its proud tradition on his back.

He comes off as being a really cool, down-to-earth guy.

PIRA and pincai like this.
  3. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Very likeable guy I've watched quite a few of his interviews. He best not go anywhere near this dude though. Rod 'Lightning Rod'' Salka gonna paddle that ass something terrible he do.

Odins beard and pincai like this.
  4. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I hope he gets his shot eventually. I know he wants to avenge his Pedraza defeat too. Anyway, I am on board the good ship Farmer, good guy and super duper slick - a real crowd pleaser with it. I've been advised by wiser heads on the forum that he won't beat Tank but I want to believe, at the least he should give him a good fight with his slippery showmanship style.:dancer2:

5. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I hope he gets his moment in the sun, I'm a late starter in boxing and people such as him and Sergio Martinez are huge inspirations to people like me.

Barrera likes this.
  6. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Apparently hes out for 4 months with his injury from last week.
    Thats not TOO long. Davis could conceivably still be his next opponent.

Either way Id like to see that fight eventually.

7. Barrera

Barrera Defeated Boxing_master Full Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Dont see enough of him but what i have seen i love.

He is very entertaining to watch for a defensive fighter

He is to high risk low reward so he will likely sit on the sidelines until an orginisation forces a big name to give him a shot

8. bcr

bcr Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 21, 2013
    He is one of my favorite curret boxers, it's such a shame that he is injured, he was almost reaching a true fight.

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Very brief highlights of Farmer vs. Reyes:

It seems he more or less shelved the right hand after tearing his bicep in round 3, but still threw some (intentionally-missed) jabs to set up his left, using mostly uppercuts the rest of the night. Such a smart fighter.

941Jeremy likes this.
  10. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Bad Aze boxer indeed.

I also became a fan of Torres last night as he put it on Santa Cruz

11. cippi

cippi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 28, 2009
    farmer been a beast for a while . very sharp fighter.

12. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Why do they incarcerate his brother before his (Tevin) fights? :thinking:

13. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Great tune that at the start of the video

Bustajay likes this.
  14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    My guess is that was just poorly worded. His brother is probably serving a lengthy sentence and so Tevin has a ritual of calling him directly before each of his fights, while he's there in the clink.

It did come off somewhat confusingly as though his bro's incarcerations were manifold and had some kind of random correlation to him fighting. :lol:

Serge likes this.
  15. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Yeah I know what they meant. I couldn't resist though lol

Yes the way it was worded it did seem like that :lol: