Tex Cobb vs. Henry Cooper

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rattler, Jun 17, 2007.

1. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Cobb didn't have a big punch though. Cooper would win the decision, unless he gets cut which is very possible against the rough and tough Cobb.

2. MRBILL

MRBILL Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Considering the year was 1988 and both "Cobb & L. Stinks" were over-the-hill by that juncture, the two still waged a war that was unreal....... Cobb earned my respect in eeking out the 10 rd. decision over a gutsy Leon Stinks...... I believe it would be the last time that Leon Stinks ever looked as good as he did---considering the circumstances involved... Cobb went ahead and strung some more wins onto his record for extra padding.....

MR.BILL

3. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    ugly ugly fight. a whole lotta blood on both ends... Cobb by 14 round TKO (cuts)

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Tex was still coking up back in those days. He was making movies in hollywood, living the freelance actor's life, and partying his ass off. Leon had more or less been reduced to a street bum, and was taking any payday that he could get, often losing to mediocre opponents.

5. cuco10701

cuco10701 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Cobb was a fighter who took a helluva shot, and kept coming, i see tex stopping cooper late due to cuts.

6. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I'd forgotten about this fight. Spinks does deserve a mention for this.

7. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    I see Cooper who is better known for his left hook boxing his way to a decision against the tough but not big punching Cobb.

8. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Cobb was a damn tough fighter who deserves a little more more respect....OK, he got beaten badly by Holmes but losing to an ATG HW champ in no way makes one a bad fighter.

See his fight with Norton - a pretty good HW brawl....

9. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    If coopr could avoid getting cut then he wins. Wouldn't be a cakewalk, though, because of cobbs ability to take a punch and stamina. He may not be one of the greatest fighters of all time but he possesed one of the greatest chins ever, along with being tremendously tough.

cooper just has too many skills for tex and tex was too slow. lopsided ud for cooper

10. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Cooper would have to drive a stake through Tex's heart between rounds to win this one..Cobb by a bloody, knockdown-free tko in 9.

11. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    If it's the cobb that battled Norton.. I'll take him to cut up Cooper.

12. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    I'd shave my balls to get a clean copy of "Cobb-Norton" from '80....:shock:

I have a so-so copy of "Cobb-Shavers." A great scrape for 6 rds, but then Ol' Shavers ran outta gas and got clipped in round 8.....
    :deal:bbb

WTF is Ol' Cobb doin' these days and nights?:huh

MR.BILL:hat

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Me too.:good

14. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    I'd like to see Texas Cobb lift his leg and give Ol' Coop a spinning back kick to the side of the head..... I bet that would stop Coop in his tracks........

MR.BILL

15. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Cooper was a tough guy could hit but not hard enough to stop Cobb who took Shavers best. Henry could take the nod but hard to see him blood-less and Tex had a head like a Ryno...I could see a bloody end to all this indeed