That one time Larry Holmes fought a Super Heavyweight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, May 4, 2021.

1. janitor

janitor Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    OK, so size is everything, except when it becomes inconvenient?

Gazelle Punch, Jackomano and choklab like this.
  2. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I never said size is everything. I said it matters to an extent, multiple times. Example: Riddick Bowe would run through Floyd Patterson but Floyd Patterson would have a decent chance against Baer. Why ? Because Buddy Baer is nowhere near as skilled as the other SHW named Bowe. Despite the fact that Baer is actually larger than Bowe. Baer is rudimentary, and ponderous, although he hit extremely hard. And Carnera is even worse.

Leroy Jones is a big fat contender who isn't even world level but i just used him to show that Holmes wouldn't be ragdolled around by a 250 pound guy. If i wanted to use proof that he'd be able to comtend with other 225lb+ men I'd use his performace against Cooney or a grandfather Holmes schooling Mercer

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Kamikaze likes this.
  3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think he was drawing similarities and not comparing who was better

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  4. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Roy Williams too ..

choklab likes this.
  5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Stud Pony Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They also happened to fight nearly the worst "SHWs" ever that I hold in regard so low that I think modern LHWs beat the tar out of them.

RulesMakeItInteresting and Pat M like this.
  6. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I don’t think it is that simple. You could partly be right. Modern light heavyweights are about 190 in the ring. Cruiserweights can be as big as 210-220 in the ring so they certainly match the weight of Louis and Dempsey...but it’s more a question of modern training that it is even possible today that fighters can artificially weigh in so much lower than their in the ring weight. More importantly, when it comes to the bigger guys, it is only because of
    improved nutrition, training and science and more readily available information (both legal and illegal) has transformed what was physically achievable that most of them exist. Much of the modern SHWs would have been failures as fighters without it since these giants were unable to dominate the division for a hundred years until all this stuff came along. Giants were naturally less able boxers until recent times. Limited to what their bodies naturally allowed then to do. You take that away and good fighters largely get no bigger than they used to be again.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    :lol: Cute but Patterson is my third favorite fighter. Try again.

8. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    So that’s why you don’t like Ingo?

9. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Wtf does Ingo have to do with this thread?

10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    In reference to your favour of Floyd.

11. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I overwhelmingly agree with this post, it is discerning & fair.
    Bear could set traps, but mainly great power & great chin.

However where did you get the idea that Baer is bigger than Bowe?
    Whether height, reach, measurements, weight (less so when Bowe was fairly lean, but still significant) Bowe was clearly larger.

12. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Remember that fight, Larry Holmes gave Leroy Jones a one sided beating.

13. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Truthfully, I am sure some of today's athletes do have some help artificially as growth goes, not everyone can grow to the jolly green giant proportions on their own, it is just us guys here. The WWE wrestlers do, why not fighters.? Having a beer belly is the in thing today.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd favor Holmes over every Super Heavyweight post Lewis. Some would be awkward and i might even get surprised but surprised would be the word.

Post Lewis i think Wlad might be the toughest. Holmes would have to be coming to him and leading and he has a decent jab himself from behind a lot of height and reach. He also has big power in both hands and a very very straight direct right hand. He's also very good with the one two.

I'd still be backing Holmes but he'd have to be on form. Heck of a match tho many might disagree.

15. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 30, 2019
    You seriously believe that LHWs could beat Buddy Baer...?